We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend with 5 / 7 year old - eye, duck tour and museum

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weekend with 5 / 7 year old - eye, duck tour and museum

Hi

I am palnning a weeked, arrive Sat at 1 and depart at 2.30 on London with two children. Trying to make the best of our time, they are excited and want to do everything. We have wizard of Oz matinee booked on Sun, staying at Russell square.

Looking at doing duck tour and London eye.Although, i got a shock when I looked at prices. My nephew loves dinosaurs so we need to fit in a museum - is it natural history? They want to see houses of parliament. Will we get enough of a view from duck tour?

We have talked about Science museum and covent garden as well! Plus have promised birthday meal ( early evening) as well.

I know I need a week! Help

Max

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,670 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend with 5 / 7 year old - eye, duck tour and museum

At Bethnell Green there is the Museum of Childhood

www.museumofchildhood.org.uk

Tube from Russell Square take the southbound Piccadilly line to Holborn and change to the eastbound Central line to Bethnell Green.

Edited: 09 March 2012, 07:40
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend with 5 / 7 year old - eye, duck tour and museum

Yes, dinosaurs are in the Natural History museum, which is right next door to the science museum (both are free entry).

I believe you get a good view of the Houses of Parliament on the Duck Tour. Though you may want to spend a bit of time walking round there and Trafalgar Sq - you can then walk in to Covent Garden.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,029 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend with 5 / 7 year old - eye, duck tour and museum

I doubt whether the Museum of Childhood will be remotely interesting to 5 and 7 year olds.

If you go to the Natural History museum you might want to go to the Science museum next door which has some great stuff for children, even little ones.

sciencemuseum.org.uk/visitmuseum/…2

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend with 5 / 7 year old - eye, duck tour and museum

Have a look at the London Transport Museum. It's at Covent Garden and depending on the children's interests it might be a good fit.

London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend with 5 / 7 year old - eye, duck tour and museum

Good thing about kids of that age is that they are fairly easily pleased, and you don't have to spend a fortune keeping them happy. In no particular order, my 8 and 5 year old always like to go back to these places;

Natural History museum and Science museum. They are a must really, loads for the kids to see and do, and it's all free. Watch out for the animatronic T-Rex, very lifelike and a bit scary!

Princess Diana memorial playground in Kensington Gardens, if the weather is good. You'll struggle to get them out again. Just over the road from Queensway tube.

Walking along the South Bank. There's a lot going on, street entertainers, views across the Thames, and a few places to stop and rest. They like Gabriel's Wharf for some reason.

Covent Garden, again lots of street entertainers, but it can get very busy and a bit claustrophobic for the little ones- keep a good eye on them especially inside the old market building space. Some excellent dining options here though, see below.

As well as (or instead of!) the Duck tour, which is a bit pricey, why not just hop on the top deck of a double decker bus? The kids will probably enjoy it just as much, get to see the sights, and they won't get wet in the bargain! From Russell Square you can stroll down to the Tottenham Court Road, and pick up the number 24 which goes past Trafalgar Square and Parliament Square on the way to Victoria.

For places to eat, have a look at these:

http://www.smollenskys.com/strand/

http://www.belgo-restaurants.co.uk/food

http://www.maxwells.co.uk/food.php

I would avoid the much hyped Rainforest cafe, you'll queue for ages to get in, and get hit with a hefty bill at the end.

Edited: 09 March 2012, 16:38
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend with 5 / 7 year old - eye, duck tour and museum

It might have been just a bad guide, but we had a very disappointing Duck Tour. From our experience I wouldn't bother with it, also it's not particularly aimed at children.

The London Transport Museum in Covent Garden would be perfect for them, so would the Science and Natural History but maybe not both in such a short trip. The Aquarium is right next to the London Eye, although you may not want to try to fit that in this time as well. I'd agree with EalingBlue's restaurant suggestions, also Chinatown, Byron burgers (branch in Covent Garden), Pizza Express (obviously) and if you're desperate for a quick pasta feed you could do worse than branches of Spaghetti House - I've always found them very welcoming.

7. Re: Weekend with 5 / 7 year old - eye, duck tour and museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 09:41