We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

winter wonderland euro trip

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
winter wonderland euro trip

Hi

I have posted in the past but I am now after some feedback on a mock up intinerary for our 5 week holiday.

Adelaide Australia to London England (said like Austin Powers, how else do you say it???)

London 5 nights

Paris 5 nights

Strasbourg 2 nights

Baden Baden 1 night

Nurenberg 2 nights

Berlin 4 nights - xmas

Prague 3 nights (fly)

Venice 3 nights newyears

Bologna 2 nights

Florence 2 nights

Rome 7 nights (including day visit to naples and pompeii)

home to Adelaide :(

this is over the Dec-Jan period so cold short days! would love some feedback on what people think about the workability of this rough itinterary??!!

We were also considering train from nurenberg to prague and then to berlin - as these are the shorter rail routes, but im unsure of any potential losses of time/delays due to border crossings as i am unsure of how the Schengen agreement works exactly???

looking forward to your comments :D

ta

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: winter wonderland euro trip

There are no border controls between countries in the Schengen area. There are between the UK and France but, if you have the correct visa these should take no more than a few minutes.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: winter wonderland euro trip

A couple of points - the rail journey between Nurnburg and Prague is longwinded but DB, the German Railway organisation, do operate an express coach/bus service between the two cities. Prague to Berlin is easier by rail - it is the aftermath of 50 years of divided Europe.

Secondly - Rome to Naples is a very long way for a day trip.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,397 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: winter wonderland euro trip

I'm sorry, but post two is incorrect.

Please go to the Rome forum, where you will see under top questions, directions for taking a day trip to Pompeii via Naples.

Many people have done it; it is a longish day, but very worthwhile.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k43…

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,397 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: winter wonderland euro trip

The only other comment I have is this; have you factored in your travel time? Traveling from one place to another usually means you lose at least half a day, sometimes more.

Even if the train ride is only a couple of hours, you still have to pack, check out, get to the station, buy tickets, wait for the train (sadly they aren't waiting for you!), board and ride, arrive, taxi or walk to new hotel, check in, unpack.

As many of your destinations are 2 nights--some 1 night, you are going to lose a half day on each end, shortening your time there. As long as you are aware of this, you'll be fine.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: winter wonderland euro trip

The one day in Baden Baden is mostly so that we can eat black forest cake in the black forest reigon - its a very odd and weak reason for a visit-

I'm wondering if we should just cut it all together and add the night somewhere else - perhaps it would be better spent added to Berlin -

looked into the bus and will def consider nurenberg to prague - prague to berlin -

adds to the options for flights to Venice (ie ex prague or berlin) if we have two potential departure points!!

thanks for sharing LaruaRW - I was aware of that thread - we may do an overnight for naples but hope to do it as a day trip, and are very aware of the super short european winter days aprox 7hrs daylight....

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,917 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: winter wonderland euro trip

The Berlin option, definitely. Baden Baden is pretty but not, imho, worth a detour.

7. Re: winter wonderland euro trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 18:41