We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to reading and Itinerary Help Please

The Frozen North...
Level Contributor
407 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
London to reading and Itinerary Help Please

Joining my husband for my first ever trip to London, a long weekend in February. We'll stay in London friday, sat and sunday nights. Then he has business in Reading monday. I'm debating flying home Monday morning, or spending 1/2 day in London then taking train to reading in afternoon. Advisable? If so I'd then have dinner with him Monday evening, then leave via Heathrow Tuesday AM.

Alternatively, if i went right to reading Monday, could I visit Henley on Thames for a walk without a car, ie take the train to and from reading, easily? enjoyable in february? advisable? Really all i want is a pleasant stroll, see a bit of scenery. He is staying at Forbury Hotel which looks lovely and is right near train station.

Or i could simply fly home Monday morning via Heathrow.

Advice appreciated! London details in progress.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,872 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to reading and Itinerary Help Please

I'm still scratching my head....

What you propose seems to be an awful lot of work for a pleasant stroll. Pack, check out, leave bags, do ??? in London, get bags, take underground + train to Reading, take luggage to room, go back to station, take train to Henley, walk, take train back to Reading, eat, sleep, pack again, schlep out to Heathrow.

Makes me tired just thinking of it.

I'm sure you love your husband, but if it were me, I'd stay in London the extra day and fly out.

Maybe look into these pleasant walks in London:

http://www.walks.com/

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
596 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to reading and Itinerary Help Please

Is there a reason that your husband has to stay at a hotel in Reading? I used to commute every day from London to Reading for work. It is a 25 minute train ride from Paddington. Could you both just spend Monday night in London with your husband taking the train up for work in the morning and back in the evening?

Of your two options, I think it would be easier to spend the morning in London. Your London hotel would hold your bag while you were out and about. You could take the train from Paddington up in the evening. To get to Heathrow the next day, the RailAir coach that departs from Reading Station and goes to Heathrow (railair.com) is usually the best option.

The Frozen North...
Level Contributor
407 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to reading and Itinerary Help Please

Thanks kindly. Sorry i meant this: Take train to reading first thing Monday, leave bags at hotel in reading, and do henley outing. Would that be a good choice? Or am i smarter to stay the morning in London and train to reading in the afternoon.

I don't know anything about henley, really, just saw this mentioned on reading hotel's website as a nice outing.

25 minutes really? That's quick. How often do those trains to reading run during the day. If i do stay in London, perhaps i could do morning at a museum then catch a train in the afternoon.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,872 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to reading and Itinerary Help Please

I think Stockholm28's suggestion about your husband staying in London and commuting to Reading is a good one. I have been in Henley, both in fine weather and in Febraury, and while it will be nice enough, it won't have near it's full charm.

You'll spend an hour round trp from Reading to Henley.

IMO it would just be far easier not to change hotels, and to go from London to Heathrow.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,322 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to reading and Itinerary Help Please

Does your husband have to stay in Reading Monday night? Could he not come back to London that evening after his business?

If he has to stay in Reading, then you can spend that day in London, travel out there late afternoon and join him for dinner. Take the RailAir coach to Heathrow next morning.

If he can take all your luggage with him to Reading Monday (including you accompanying him to Paddington) you could then go to Henley (if you wanted to but it's just a town in February), or Windsor via Slough. Then take the train from Windsor to Slough, and a semi-fast (or not quite totally stopping at Taplow) service to Reading for dinner.

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
596 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to reading and Itinerary Help Please

KW_Cpl, the trains between London Paddington and Reading run very frequently ... multiple trains each hour. If you go to the National Rail site (nationalrail.co.uk) you can check the schedule.

Asturias
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London to reading and Itinerary Help Please

Hi:

This was my trip for 5 days, with maps to print...

http://paraconocereuropa.blogspot.com/

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to reading and Itinerary Help Please

I live near Reading, visit Henley occasionally. I wouldn't bother with your plan for the reasons in post 1. Spend the time in London instead,

Trains between reading and Paddington in general are every 15 minutes or even more frequently.

I suggest you stay near there, and he then commutes to Reading on the Monday. Unless he is needed on Tuesday morning he can come back by train on Monday whenever, even very late and then head back to reading on tuesday morning. You can take the HEX from Paddington to Heathrow on Tuesday morning and fly back..

9. Re: London to reading and Itinerary Help Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2013, 10:28