We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile Phones

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tifton, GA
Level Contributor
21 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile Phones

My husband and I will be traveling in the U.K. in April. We will be in and near London, Wales, and the Republic of Ireland. Our current mobile phone does not support international service, and I really don't want to change phones. We are going to be staying in the Earl's Court area in London. Is this correct? I could go to the Carphone location there and purchase a disposable phone and usage plan. Will this phone work in Wales and Ireland also?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,651 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile Phones

Yes, an inexpensive PAYG mobile will work in Wales and in the RoI, and will allow you to make calls to the States as well.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,916 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile Phones

I'm not sure what a "disposable" phone is (sounds like an awful waste). Why not just pick up a PAYG SIM for your current phone?

Tifton, GA
Level Contributor
21 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile Phones

I was told by my service provider that my phone could not be used internationally.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,675 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile Phones

The phone will work in the Republic of Ireland (and all over Europe) but you will be charged international roaming rates.

If you plan on making a lot of calls in Ireland it may be worth getting a local Irish SIM whilst in Ireland.

The same SIM will work with UK rate calls in London, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile Phones

As for just getting a sim card for your phone -it is not that easy. To do this you have to get your phone unlocked. However, if you do that, it voids the warranty.

Edited: 11 January 2012, 06:13
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile Phones

I am going to be driving around England and Ireland in July and do not want to be without a phone. I was also wondering what the best way to go was. My phone cannot be used either and was going to look into a cheap pay as you go phone while there. Looking forward to peoples thoughts on this.....

Edited: 11 January 2012, 06:18
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile Phones

My phone cannot be used either and was going to look into a cheap pay as you go phone while there. Looking forward to peoples thoughts on this.....

=======

At £10-£20, whats to consider other than whether you want a SIM with cheap international rates or one aimed at UK calls. And whether to get a SIM in Ireland as well. That obviously depends how many calls you will make there, it may well be that existing credit will be enough.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile Phones

A US/CAN phone should work in the UK if it's pretty modern, they're often tri or quad band these days and can operate anywhere. Google the name / model number of your phone and see what frequency it operates on. For the UK and Ireland you need it to be able to operate on 900 and 1900 mhz. I think most US / CAN phones work on 850 and 1900 so even if they are just 2 band phones, they'll work.

Lilley: If your phone is brand new and you're concerned about your warranty then ask your phone provider if they will unlock your phone, most will do it for a small fee. It's commonplace now. Is it your provider that has told you you can't use it? What reason did they give?

Your second question was correctly answered in the OP and confirmed in reply 1. All you have to do is go to any multi-company phone shop (Carphone Warehouse, Phones4U) and ask for a cheap PAYG phone. Average cost for the cheapest phones will be about £10-20 including some credit.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobile Phones

"A US/CAN phone should work in the UK if it's pretty modern, they're often tri or quad band these days and can operate anywhere.". Unless of course it is a CDMA type in which case it won't.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobile Phones

Hence why I asked the reason why she's been told it won't work. Could be good gen from the manufacturer, could just as easily be internet lore gleaned from Rick Steves.