We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed regarding a theft from a hotel room

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malta
Level Contributor
22 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed regarding a theft from a hotel room

Could someone help me here and give me advice please? My husband and I were staying in a London hotel (that I prefer not to name until this pending case is resolved) and whilst we were packing on our final night decided to go have a quick bite to eat at a hotel across the road. I put my valuables in the room safe, left my brand new IPad to charge and off we went...

When we got back to our room about an hour and a half later our key cards weren't working so we had to go get them changed. We found that odd but didn't think much of it. When we finally got into our rooms I tried to open the safe but it kept giving me an error .. to cut a long story short security came up and they used some sort of master key to open it up for us. When we checked all my valuables were gone... we had cash in an envelope which also went missing and then I discovered my IPad and Kindle were also taken. We had to call in security again but rather than help us they kept insisting no one came into our room according to their records and to add to our distress they actually made us feel like we were inventing the whole story. They were awful - it was an experience I really want to put behind me. My husband went to the police to report this and we left early the next morning with absolutely no word from the hotel as to how they would help us.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Does anyone have any tips or advice? Is the hotel liable for thefts from the rooms?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed regarding a theft from a hotel room

Did you get a crime number from the police?

You will need one to claim the loss from your insurance company

Malta
Level Contributor
22 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed regarding a theft from a hotel room

Yes we did .. we went to the police that very same night.. .. have you any idea if the hotel is liable in any way for this theft?

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed regarding a theft from a hotel room

Probably not unless you left the items in the hotel safe instead of the one in your room.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed regarding a theft from a hotel room

Hotels usually specify that they are not liable for any thefts of personal items from rooms. Some state that they will only be liable if the items are stored in the proper hotel safe. Some won't even guarantee that.

Even so I find it strange how security have responded, I'd write to the hotel management formally and ask them to look into it as it appears someone with inside knowledge is involved.

The police will not actively investigate this by the way, they'll pretty much just log your complaint and provide you with a crime number so do take it up with senior hotel management or a head office, if they have one.

Malta
Level Contributor
22 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed regarding a theft from a hotel room

We feel it definitely was an inside job - how else can the fact that we couldn't get into our room and our safe be explained? These were definitely tampered with. It was an extremely distressing situation and the fact that this happened on our last night really ruined our holiday. I will definitely write to the hotel management - thanks for the tip!

Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed regarding a theft from a hotel room

That's horrible. Of course the hotel doesn't want to admit that there was a robbery on the premises, let alone that it could have been an inside job.

I don't understand why you are reluctant to state the name of the hotel. That is a useful piece of information to other travellers, and something that might be helpful in your dealings with them.

Malta
Level Contributor
22 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed regarding a theft from a hotel room

You're right.. It is only fair that I state the name of the hotel. We were staying at the Cumberland Hotel in Marble Arch. I will also also be writing a formal review once I get a clear picture of how the investigation is proceeding. Any more help and advice would be appreciated.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help needed regarding a theft from a hotel room

A review from August 11th mentions suitcases being stolen and the guests being blamed. It also looks like they have a new manager, so I'd write to him directly and see if you get a decent response.

His name is Tim Cordon, General Manager.

Good luck.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help needed regarding a theft from a hotel room

Closed circuit tv might help

Some older systems record to tape andbthebtape is changed daily so there are onlyb31 tapes and therefore a record exists for just a month

I wouldn'tt expect that this will be the case but just in case it is you only have a month from the time of the theft before the tape is wiped clean and you will lose any chance of getting evidence.

It is more likely that the CCTV is recorded onto a hard drive or disc, I would insist that the hotel view any footage of the area on the night and give you a copy. S

There should be a Record of when and who terminated your pass card and issued others this should easily be chckd by the hotel

Seek out the name of the CEO of the organisation and bombard them with your details and demands that this be investigated. Make it clear that it is likely that the thieves are employed by the hotel and you will take every step to ensure that this theft will be publicised far and wide unless the CEO takes action. Become a nuisance by regular correspondence to the CEO . Consider getting a solicitor to draft letter,

that often draws their attention.

But

They might try to brass it out by saying what proof have you got that these items were in the room

I am not your word just being realistic

Good luck

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help needed regarding a theft from a hotel room

From the hotels response it sounds like it won’t be pending with anyone else and it won’t get resolved, as other posters have said, it will only be recorded as a crime stat.

I had a situation that I wrote about in a review where a bag that had been stored by the hotel reception because of an early arrival, was missing when I returned to check-in after 3pm.

The Hotels response was ‘you leave items at your own risk’ etc., I reported the theft and to my surprise later in the evening a uniformed policeman attended and sat in the busy lounge/reception taking details, not a good image for the hotel. He told me that the sister hotel had had big problems with theft; they found it was an inside job.

This was in Blackpool, a seaside town, 250 miles from London, different police force, different priorities.

Sounds like your original card key had the data deleted and reprogrammed, so of course when they check nothing shows.

Edited: 02 January 2012, 00:50