We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow question

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
Level Contributor
629 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow question

We are trying to decide whether to book a return flight to Washington D.C. at either 8:00 AM or 3:25 PM. out of Heathrow. The airport website says you need to be out there 3 hours ahead of time. When you factor in the time required to get to the airport from West Kensington, we would probably need to leave at 4:30 AM! Should we just go for the 3:25 PM departure time? Thanks for your input.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,946 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow question

If you don't want to start out at some unearthly hour then the later flight would appeal to me more than the early one. It can get kind of busy at Heathrow around 8:00 as well. As the Underground doesn't start until around 5:00am then a car service would be the order of the day and as you need to be there by 5:00am then you would need to leave before 4:30.

I'd take the later flight

Kansas
Level Contributor
629 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow question

Thanks, Dicanio. That's what we'll do.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
19,698 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow question

I would also look at the arrival time of both flights in the States and look at which is the most convenient. However, getting up half way through the night isn't the most pleasant of ways to end a holiday. I would prefer the later flight.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,035 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow question

The later flight will put you in Dulles around teatime. Not a problem if you are switching planes but it might create a few difficulties if you heading into DC during the rush hour.

Having said that I think it preferable than getting up at an ungodly hour and rushing to Heathrow. With that later departure you can enjoy a leisurely breakfast, a wander and then catch a tube to the airport late morning.

5. Re: Heathrow question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 October 2011, 12:05
6. Re: Heathrow question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 10:15