We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best travel book

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best travel book

What travel book for London is recommended? We will not be traveling outside London and would like to find activities, suggested itineraryies and restaurants. Thanks for your help.

space coast, fl
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best travel book

I like the DK Eyewitness, and the smaller version DK Top Ten London.

Go to your public library, and a few stores just to see what you like best. Different people have different faves!

For restaurants and events look at the London monthly magazines like Time Out. You can get to them on the web.

Happy Planning!

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best travel book

I have been happy with any travel books by Rick Steves and the latest Frommers are always excellent

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
18,934 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best travel book

I second the DK Eyewitness Travel London.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best travel book

Besides a good travel guide - Frommers, Fodors, Access are all pretty good you might want to invest in a good map. I've been using London MapGuide by Michael Middleditch for years. Lightweight, very detailed map. You should group sites together geographically to save you running all over London. For example the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery are right next to each other.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
18,934 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best travel book

The map is a good idea. Try the London Popout map. (Amazon has it)

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,229 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best travel book

The Rough Guide to London for me. You get the impression the writers have really been there, done that (in a good way of course) and they're not afraid to point out the bad bits as well as the good.

Mike

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best travel book

Another vote for the DK series. I picked up the Top Ten one for 99p a few weeks before I travelled, and it travelled with me in my handbag those weeks permanently, so I could dip in at odd moments during the day. It really helped the excitement mount.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best travel book

Like Mike I vote Rough Guide, they're very, very comprehensive books. I stopped using Lonely Planet a couple of years ago as they're full of inaccuracies, I always half wonder if the writer has been there. The London one isn't all that bad, (I guess it's down to the individual writer) but there are better ones out there.

Southwest Norway
Level Contributor
199 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best travel book

Rough Guide for me, too.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
7,700 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best travel book

Rough Guides are over all the best practical guide books

The Eyewitnees books are good with plenty of pictures but are too heavy for carrying with you.

Graham