We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

German Restaurants

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
santa clarita, ca.
Level Contributor
106 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
German Restaurants

Stupid question but we usually go to Germany where I was in the US Army then go to London. This year only 11 days in London. Are there any good German Restaurants? We will be in Mayfair.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: German Restaurants

Well, there's a few such as Bavarian Beerhouse, Bierschenke and Herman Ze German but none of them are exactly noted for having very good food and none of them are incredibly close to Mayfair. I couldn't recommend.

santa clarita, ca.
Level Contributor
106 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: German Restaurants

Thanks. I didn't think there would be much in the way of German restaurants

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: German Restaurants

"only 11 days in London." (???) That is too many to be in any city. You will go stir crazy. Take a budget flight to Berlin for 2/3 days.

I have good memories of Schmidt's German restaurant but that closed a long time ago -( although the food wasn't anything special.

The Bavarian Beer House has a couple of places around London.

But I think that KiwiBrad knows a very good place in Richmond, south-west London.

Edited: 26 July 2011, 07:15
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: German Restaurants

^^^

German restaurant just beyond Richmond bridge, on river bank. Probably more of a an outdoor currywurst experience than sit down restaurant.

Monza, Italy
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: German Restaurants

I'm not sure and forgive me if I'm wrong, but german and austrian cuisine should be similar, so have a look at this one: http://www.tirolerhut.co.uk/ and the reviews: tripadvisor.it/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d72…

London, United...
Level Contributor
655 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: German Restaurants

The Zeitgeist @ The Jolly Gardeners is very good with authentic food (the owners are German) .

http://zeitgeist-london.com/?page_id=3

The Bavarian Beerhouse is not bad either, but IMHO a bit overpriced.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,839 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: German Restaurants

Tiroler Hut on Westbourne Groe is not a bad location andif you don't like it there are probably 30 other restaurants within a 5 minute walk.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,027 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: German Restaurants

There are tons of Polish restaurants now which may be similar to certain sorts of German cuisine.

Plus Baltic had excellent food of the well, Baltic variety. Germany is on the Balic isnt it? I haven't been there for some time though. They used to do a fantastic value set lunch.

http://www.balticrestaurant.co.uk/html/#home

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,424 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: German Restaurants

I went to the St Moritz restaurant, 161 Wardour Street, for someone's birthday celebration (though that was a couple of years ago) and it was fairly good. Although technically Swiss it has a generally central European menu.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-…

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: German Restaurants

Baltic is pretty decent yes, the food is almost all Polish really.

Zeitgeist looks interesting, I hadn't heard of it before, though the location is rather out of the way.

Edit: I would say St Moritz is more French-Swiss, it's quite a funny place, went to some great parties there way back when. Not sure I would say the food is anything to write home about.

Edited: 26 July 2011, 13:53