We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electricity...

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
80 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Electricity...

I'm going to guess that I will need one of those converter things for my cell phone charger, curling iron, etc...

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electricity...

Phone - probably not, most phone chargers are 110/220v so will cope with both voltages. Same for laptops, MP3 players and cameras.

Curling Iron - probably, Check whether they are marked 110/220v. If not, it will probably be cheaper to buy a set when you get here. Same for hair dryers and irons, although most hotels will provide these for you if you ask.

You will need an adaptor to allow you to plug 2 pin US plugs into 3 pin UK sockets. You can buy one of those in Boots at the airport.

London
Level Contributor
9,185 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electricity...

Don't use a heat producing device (eg curling tongs) in the UK if it was designed for 110volts and is not switchable to 240volts.

Very real danger of the device overheating and catching fire.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,457 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electricity...

Unless it is duel voltage your curler iron will blow up when you plug it in in London.

You might have to buy a cheap new one that works here - Boots is a great place.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,497 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Electricity...

Most small chargers - like for phones & laptops - will accept anything from 100-250V with no problems but it's always best to check.

High wattage items like irons & high dryers will almost certainly not. You could buy a voltage converter to use them but it's probably cheaper and far safer to buy in the UK - it also means less to carry

You will need an adaptor to convert US 2 pin plugs to fit UK 3 pin sockets. It's best to do this in the UK as such will be fused unlike the ones sold in Target or Walmart. If there is a Poundland near your hotel you can buy them there fore - em - £1

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
80 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electricity...

walmart.com/ip/…10983768

This is what I've found. Should this work?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electricity...

Maybe. What's the power consumption of your curling irons - more or less than 50W?

Edited: 13 July 2011, 06:47
Maryland
Level Contributor
67 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Electricity...

Samba,

I got mines from the Walmart too for my upcoming trip this week.

If you shop there, be sure you go to the travel section and not the electric department. My neighhood store told me they were out in electronics, I happened to be wandering around and happened upon them.

Mines was $10.00 and it was black and red. (lost my last one)

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Electricity...

If you are buying these on the basis of colour, please do also check their power rating, so you don't start a fire in your hotel.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Electricity...

NO, that 50 Watt converter will not work. My wife's curling iron pulls 80 Watts. Hair dryers pull many more (1200 Watts at least).

You are better off spending that money on a dual voltage curling iron and hair dryer.

Look at your curling iron and hair dryer, does it say 120/240 Volt? If so, then it is dual voltage. Otherwise buy a new one that is dual voltage.

Do not rely on these inexpensive voltage converters for high Wattage appliances, get dual voltage appliances.

Edited: 13 July 2011, 14:12
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
80 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Electricity...

OK. Thanks...

The curling iron is not as much of a concern. I'll just leave it at home and go without. My main concern was my cell phone charger, camera charger, and other small things. The 50 watt converter SHOULD work for those types of things, right?

Also, I see that my digital camera charger is input: 100V-240V50/60Hz which is fine to use, right?

I've fried a cell phone charger in Cuba years ago. I wanna be sure that I don't do the same in London.

Thanks for all of your advice