We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick to Greenwich?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
Save Topic
Gatwick to Greenwich?

Hi!

Which is the easiest way from Gatwick to Greenwich (I still don't know where exactly I have to go, but it's a college in Greenwich) ?

I had a look at other threads and saw that I could take a train to London Bridge and once I am there the Jubilee Line. Is this the only way? And it will be easier to get to Greenwich if I fly to another airport? Thank you

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,282 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick to Greenwich?

Depends where in Greenwich you need to go - if it's central Greenwich then train to London Bridge then another train to Greenwich is the best option, if it's North Greenwich - ie by the O2 Arena / Dome then the Jubilee Line is the best option from London Bridge.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick to Greenwich?

Thank you Alanrow. In any case I have to take a train to London Bridge, right?

I should arrive at Gatwick at 22:45, it there a train at that time?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick to Greenwich?

What is the name of the college? University of Greenwich main campus is in the centre of Greenwich, but other campuses are a long way away. Some private "colleges" in Greenwich are in the centre. ravensbourne College is by North Greenwich tube station.

Late at night there are trains from Gatwick to London Bridge every 30 minutes, until 00:15, then very big gaps.

It is possible you will have to take a taxi from London Bridge to Greenwich that late.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick to Greenwich?

The last train that connects to Greenwich is at 2316 - you don't stand a high chance of getting it

You can still get to London Bridge after that - but getting on to Greenwich requires use of at least two buses.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick to Greenwich?

Thinking further on this, presumably you are not going direct to the college for an arrival after midnight? Where will you actually be going when you arrive in Greenwich?

london
Level Contributor
65 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick to Greenwich?

Train to London Bridge and then there will still be a few options if you get into London Bridge before midnight (train to Lewisham then dlr/ bus for example) , but it depends where exactly you need to get to.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick to Greenwich?

Thank you for all your answers.

I know now the name of the college is the "Old Royal Naval College", could you tell me something more? Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick to Greenwich?

The Old Royal Naval College is a build of the University of Greenwich, right in the centre of historic Greenwich. It's about 1km from Greenwich railway station.

Are you really going there when you arrive after midnight? Will there be anyone there to meet you? Where are you actually staying?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Messina, Bratislava
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick to Greenwich?

Hi Nick. I am staying in the college campus for the summer. Yes, there will be someone to meet me there, but I don't know if that night or the morning after as I'll be there really late. So far, my plan is: train to London Bridge (my flight arrives at 22:55, so i'll take the 23:16 train or, better, the one at 23:43) and from the station I think I could also take a taxi. According to google maps it is about 4 miles (from there to the college) so it shouldn't be too expensive and I prefer a taxi as I'll have luggage. If no one can meet me that night, I'll stay somewhere in Greenwich for the night. Is it a good plan?

Edited: 25 May 2011, 08:32
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,485 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick to Greenwich?

Check taxi fare London Bridge station to Greenwich Royal Naval College

www.worldtaximeter.com/london