We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay in London as a 3-day tourist?

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
6 posts
71 reviews
Best area to stay in London as a 3-day tourist?

I'm going to be in London for only 3 days in May (first time!) Where should I stay? Which area is best to to see the main tourist sites? Is there any events or facilities that I need to book in advance to visit or see? Thanks!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,885 posts
1. Re: Best area to stay in London as a 3-day tourist?

Assuming you are arriving at Heathrow I'd try somewhere in South Kensington or Bloomsbury as both are on the direct Tube line from Heathrow. If you are arriving at Gatwick then somewhere in Victoria or the London Bridge area would be suitable

Is "I" "I" or "we" BTW as that will affect the best transport options

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
6 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Best area to stay in London as a 3-day tourist?

Thanks for the ideas. It will be my hubby and I traveling together.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
92 reviews
3. Re: Best area to stay in London as a 3-day tourist?

Hi there. This year we are staying again at the Citidines - Trafalgar Square. I find it a terrific location. Short walk to The Eye, and lots of other London Sights - Charring Cross and Embankment Stations are literally minutes away.

Kind Regards

Merran

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,079 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Best area to stay in London as a 3-day tourist?

Karen, if you and Mr W11 are staying next month you'll need to book a hotel sharpish, the sooner the better.

Without knowing your budget, whether or not you'll fly to and from Heathrow or another London airport, whether you'll travel to or from the city by rail (if you plan to book Eurostar again do it quick as you can as the lowest fares sell out very quickly) and whether or not this is a first trip it's difficult to give suggestions for hotels that will work best for you.

But we'll try. Have a look at the Premier Inn County Hall and Kensington (Knaresborough Place) locations, the Doubletree by Hilton West End (which is actually in Bloomsbury), the Morgan Hotel in Bloomsbury Street, the Millennium Bailey's and the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum. Those are just a few to get you started so please let us know if you're looking for something different.

London
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: Best area to stay in London as a 3-day tourist?

I don't think there is a 'best' district.

There are districts geared to budget travellers, districts better for access to nightlife/theatre or shopping, districts that are more convenient for each of London's 5 airports. Some districts are more expensive at weekends, others during the week,

All the main hotel districts are perfectly safe and all are well served by public transport. There is not the equivalent of a 'downtown' area.

If you read the article below you will probably get a better handle on which districts are most suitable for your personal needs.

londontoolkit.com/accommodation/london_hotel…

Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
235 reviews
6. Re: Best area to stay in London as a 3-day tourist?

As long as your near a tube the location will be ok but if you're planning on going to the theatre and like a big choice of restaurants within walking distance then Piccadilly/Soho would be an ideal location, followed by the hotels around Russel square in Bloomsbury which are also within walking distance to Soho.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: Best area to stay in London as a 3-day tourist?

The County Hall area has several different hotel options, depending on your budget, including the Marriott County Hall, Premier Inn, and both the Park Plaza County Hall and the Park Plaza Westminster. It is close to both Waterloo Station and the Westminster tube stop. Very easy to get to lots of places from here and a nice area in which to stay.

8. Re: Best area to stay in London as a 3-day tourist?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 17:18