We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visit to london

Killingworth...
4 posts
2 reviews
1st time visit to london

My wife and I are visitg London for the 1st time - we have a short stay 2 full days and part of a 3rd. my wife wants to see stonehenge but other than that, we are open to suf\ggestions on "must sees". We will be arriving at london kings cross by train from edinburgh at approx 6pm - staying at Melia White House Hotel at Albany Street Regents Park. What is best way to get from rail station to hotel. we fly to dublin from heathrow (again, best way to get to airport?) finally, what are best things to see and might you have recommendations fro restaurants/pubs? at the moment, we are not planning to rent a car - can we get around without one?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,562 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: 1st time visit to london

A car is a liability in London rather than an asset.

If you're travelling light and are willing to take a slightly slower route, the 205 towards Paddington or 30 towards Marble Arch will take you from King's Cross to Great Portland Street station for the very short walk (maybe two minutes) to the Melia White House.

Stop R is very near KX station (first link), you'll see a Costcutter shop with the stop just outside. Stop G right outside Great Portland Street station is near the junction with Albany Street with a pedestrian crossing - just follow the curve of the street around to the hotel.

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…kingscross-2150.pdf

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/…

The alternate to the bus is a taxi, with the taxi rank at KX in Pancras Road - you'll see signs in the station directing you there. Great Portland Street station has stairs up from the train platform to the ticket hall, so the bus may be a slightly less painful option (but will be slower).

Depending on the time of the flight's departure for DUB, consider booking a car service from the Melia White House to LHR; a saloon car for two shouldn't cost much more than £26 - 30. The 205 goes to Paddington for the Heathrow Express, but two fares on that train will cost more than a car service (hm); Heathrow Connect fares are cheaper but there are only two trains an hour.

The Albany, just behind Great Portland Street station, is a v nice pub, well worth a visit.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
672 posts
126 reviews
2. Re: 1st time visit to london

Also Stonehedge is a full days journey out of London. Not really a "London" site. With only 2 days or so in London, I would pick 4 major "I really want to explore" sites, plan to spend 2-5 hours in each, and then find a pub/restaurant that is reccomended here to while away the hours and just relax and absorb. Or talk a walk or a park or guided, www.walks.com.

I spent my first day of my first visit inLondon in Kensington Palace looking for the Peter Pan statue, took 3 hours but was a great time.

Bromley, United...
Level Contributor
659 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: 1st time visit to london

Visiting Stonehenge will take up most of the day and when there, you will have seen enough of it after an hour. And until they finally hide the A303, it may even be a little disappointing finding yourself next to something you may have thought was bigger, you aren't allowed to get close to and is right next to a busy road.

If you were staying longer, you could combine Stonehenge with visiting another part of S England. But as you are only passing through, I'd suggest staying in the city this time.

singapore
Level Contributor
293 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: 1st time visit to london

juz came back from london 2 days ago.... did a stonehenge tour as well..

if u only have 2 full days... a tour to stonehenge (which would include other sights such as bath&windsor or avebury&glastonbury) would take up 1 full day.. choose a tour that pick up/ alight at places like harrods or oxford st etc so that when u return (which could be 7+ instead of 8+ as stated) u can still capitalize on e evening by doing some shopping at harrods or oxford street..

day 2 u can start with a good english breakfast before heading to Buckingham palace (if u can catch the changing of guard at 11.30am it would be interesting but do check website for dates and go early for good views) and i strongly recommend the state apartments tour which is really grand n wonderful! plus a lunch of scones n tea at the palace's garden cafe newly opened this summer..

After that u can take a (15mins) stroll past st james park to horse guard/ downing st/ parliament hses/ big ben/ river thames/ london eye/ westminster abbey..do drop in westminster abbey at 4 or 5pm (check website) for their evening choir prayer service.. it's awesome!

Night u can simply go to covent garden to relax and have a good dinner and after dinner drinks at an english pub.

i travel in london via the tube which is fairly quick n easy... but many sights are very walkable within each other... car is unnecessary...

have fun!

5. Re: 1st time visit to london

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2011, 06:38