We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What part of London to stay in?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
What part of London to stay in?

My sister and I are coming for five days and four nights to London. I am super excited. I studied abroad in London for a semester and have been back several times since but my sister has never been. London is one of my favorite places in the world.

Whenever I came back, I tended to gravitate towards staying in the Earls Court/Glouchester Rd area because that is where I lived when I was there. I am not sure that is the best place to stay though with somebody who has never been.

We are going to a Chelsea game but aside from that we don't have too much planned. We will do some of the touristy stuff but we will probably also spend some time just walking around and checking out pubs and whatnot because my sister isn't super into doing the touristy stuff and I have done most of it at least once if not more times. My main goal aside from the Chelsea game is to find Caffrey's as it is my absolute favorite and they don't sell it in the US any longer so if anybody knows any pubs that have it, I would love to know. Most likely I will book a hotel on either priceline or hotwire because the prices are just so much less. Which area would you guys recommend as the area to stay in? Sorry for the long post.

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
44,459 posts
54 reviews
1. Re: What part of London to stay in?

To be honest the area you know might well be as good as any. It's easy to get to from Heathrow on the Piccadilly line tube, it's within walkable distance of Stamford Bridge and you can be pretty much anywhere in tourist London within half an hour by foot, bus or tube.

Bloomsbury is also worth considering: on the Piccadilly line, slightly more central and a nicer range of pubs and restaurants. Do be careful with regard to Priceline areas as you might end up further away than you intended.

Ambler, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
985 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: What part of London to stay in?

Hi: I can understand your wanting to stay in a different area of London, but I agree with Adam that you might find Earls Court/Kensington to be best. It would be cool to show your friend "your" neighborhood, and you can't beat it for easy access to/from LHR and other parts of London.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: What part of London to stay in?

It all depends how much you can save by bidding on Hotwire or Priceline. If you can make a good saving it might be worth being prepared to try a different area. I don't see what's to stop you putting in a bid or two to see what happens. Kensington, Westminster and Bloomsbury all look like good areas to bid.

space coast, fl
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: What part of London to stay in?

Right now Hotwire has 4 star rooms in Mayfair listed at $179. You don't know which one. but you can't beat the location! I'd go for it if i were going to stay in the central area!

5. Re: What part of London to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2011, 07:16