We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DLR during tube strike

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,833 posts
18 reviews
DLR during tube strike

Just trying to think ahead for the upcoming tube strike beginning on Sunday, October 3.

Does anyone remember if the DLR was working OK last time? I ask because I need to be at the O2 on that date. If I can take the DLR then I'm OK, otherwise it'll have to be bus from Waterloo and then I'll have to figure out how much time to allow for the journey.

Thanks.

Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
44,432 posts
54 reviews
1. Re: DLR during tube strike

I know the DLR did have a dispute but that is/was entirely seperate from this strike action so a good service is expected to run.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,833 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: DLR during tube strike

Thanks Adam.

I'll confirm it with a work colleague. However, they do a four-day week (not Wednesday), so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
3. Re: DLR during tube strike

Can you please tell me more about the Tube strike - like when it is and for how long? We are arriving London early Tuesday 5th October. Thanks, Kaz

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,808 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: DLR during tube strike

The DLR is run by Serco on behalf of TfL, and not TfL themselves so it usually runs despite strikes on the tube. It has run normally in the past.

Is this another station staff protest? That may affect things differently... the last strike where I used the DLR was about maintenance issues so Serco didn't take part.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: DLR during tube strike

> I need to be at the O2 on that date. If I can take the DLR then I'm OK <

How so? The DLR doesn't go to the O2.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
82 reviews
6. Re: DLR during tube strike

Oh, you're going to that Les Mis concert, aren' t you?? Color me green with envy.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,691 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: DLR during tube strike

A lot depends on what time of day you are travelling to the O2. If it is in the off peak, you can travel from Waterloo East to Maze Hill (and then get bus 129) or Charlton (and then get bus 486). Alternatively bus 188 does go all the way from Waterloo to the O2, but is likely to be very crowded. Another alternative would be the River Bus from London Eye pier to North Greenwich.

The main message on tube strike days is travel outside the peak hours. During the peaks, any buses/trains/boats/DLR that are running are likely to be full to bursting andhave long queues. Look on the BBC news website for pictures of what it was like during the last strike.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: DLR during tube strike

Or to Westcombe Park, where you can get a 108 or 422, or even walk to the Dome.

London
Level Contributor
12,371 posts
70 reviews
9. Re: DLR during tube strike

DLR unaffected.

During last strike they ran some longer trains (3 car instead of 2 car) on the Stratford branch to cope with the additional passengers.

However, as mentioned above, DLR doesn't go to the O2.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
10. Re: DLR during tube strike

The last strike closed stations more than stopped trains running.

Did it close Bank Station ? Therefore preventing DLR running there. West Ham closed so C2C trains didn't stop there. What about Canning Town, isn't that a LU run station ?