We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip too London,need some advice..

1 post
First trip too London,need some advice..

My friend and I are going to visit some pen pals in 2012 in London, how long should we stay if we want to get as much done as possible? 1-2 weeks? what are things that I must visit and can skip?

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,733 Reviews
from US$122.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,271 Reviews
from US$125.00*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
770 Reviews
from US$102.40*
London, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: First trip too London,need some advice..

I would look through the forum and see other people trip reports and the Things to do section on here.

As for time 1 week would be enough if you just wanted to do London. You might not see everything, but you could cover the main things.

But if you wanted to venture out a bit more there are plenty of day trips you could do plus you could always plan a trip oer to Paris as well (something to do with your pen pals?)

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,490 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: First trip too London,need some advice..

shelby,

Welcome to TA. I don;t want to seem harsh, but you would get some very helpful and relevant answers to your question if you either re-phrase it or provide some information.

EG - What do you mean by 'get as much done as possible'?

And no-one can tell you what you must visit and what to skip. One of the problems with travelling is deciding what to see and what to miss. No-one else can decide for you. *You* need to make the decision, based an what you want.

Now, if you asked - "I really like traditional paintings - which should I visit - the Tate Britain; Tate Modern or National Gallery?", then you would get some relevant and helpful answers.

London, United...
Level Contributor
659 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: First trip too London,need some advice..

I'd absolutely, certainly and definitely go for two weeks, as just one will be endless sightseeing with no time to just chill and relax.

London is obviously not just the famous sights of palaces, cathedrals and castles but also countless other gems that the vast majority of visitors miss. So many markets, parks, museums, art galleries, bars and restaurants, shows and events plus you should explore the 'outer' areas of the city such as Windsor, Richmond, Camden, Hampstead, Greenwich, Blackheath etc. etc. that are absolutely worth visiting, but are often ignored by the first-time visitor as they are away from the core West End.

I heard there's also some sports event being held here in 2012.

If you have had enough of the metropolis (?!), you then have the opportunity to take a short train ride out to Oxford, Cambridge, Canterbury, Brighton, Anglia, the vineyards of Kent and Sussex (it's actually good wine nowadays!) and other areas to experience a taste of the rest of England. And how about Scotland for stunning Edinburgh and then the Highlands to truly escape the crowds. Or North Wales. Or Cornwall.

One week? Really?

Edited: 29 September 2010, 14:28
USA
Level Contributor
513 posts
4. Re: First trip too London,need some advice..

I agree with WorldTraveller2003, stay as long as you can! You're paying for the airfare regardless of how long you stay, so might as well make the most of it. Even a week and a half would be better than a week. However if you end up being able to stay just a week, that would be fine too. And W.T.'s suggestion of day trips is excellent as well. You could also do a day trip (or better yet an overnight trip) to Paris if you wanted. Have fun planning!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: First trip too London,need some advice..

two weeks in London is enough to see most of the sights and spend some time outside the city and enjoy peace and quiet.

as to "must" visit,I am someone who travels sans itinerary,I hate being pinned down to a list and check off things as I see each place! what are your likes and dislikes? more information will help in suggesting things to see and to avoid.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,147 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: First trip too London,need some advice..

Without wanting to sound too dismissive, I hope you're not planning to visit during July or August 2012. There is a bit of a sporting event that's going to be a blessing and a curse for visitors and Londoners alike; first time visitors may not get the full flavour of the city whilst trying to sightsee during that sporting event.

The things you 'must visit and can skip' are up to you. No two people will ever have the same list of things to see and do, so that list should (must) ultimately be about what interests you and your friend, not what others suggest.

Have a look at the Dorling Kindersley Eyewitness Guide for London. Lots of photographs and good descriptions to pique your interest and plenty more information available here. TIme needed for a visit may be one or two weeks, but you may also find that time allows you to scratch the surface.

Toronto
Level Contributor
588 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: First trip too London,need some advice..

Pick a few key "must sees" but truthfully go with the flow - London is a big city. On our recent trip - I forgot that part and didn't see half of what I wanted...funny enough - DH's favourite part was our boat ride down the Thames to Greenwich! He just enjoyed chillin', listening to the snarky commentary and watching the scenary.

I have vowed to have an itinerary free visit on our next visit - but I did enjoy going to see my "must sees" too.

So in conclusion - a mix of both will make for a great visit.

8. Re: First trip too London,need some advice..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2011, 07:16