We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pubs in Greenwich?

Bristol, United...
2 posts
Pubs in Greenwich?

Hi, I am staying near Greenwich for a night, and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good pub?

I have been looking on a business directory to try and find some (olympicbusinesspages.com/london/food_and_dri…) and there are quite a few there, I like it because it tells you the addresses (hello SatNav!), so if there are any on there that people have been to and could recommend, I would really appreciate it.

The pub must serve food, and the more social the atmosphere, the better!

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,728 Reviews
from US$123.00*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,269 Reviews
from US$125.70*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
764 Reviews
from US$103.00*
London, United...
Level Contributor
659 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Pubs in Greenwich?

In no particular order:

1. The Old Brewery in the grounds of Greenwich University/Old Royal Naval College. Modern bar/restaurant.

2. The Trafalgar next to the Uni/ONRC on the riverside. Old senior officer lodgings during the Naval College days, now pub and restaurant.

3. The Gypsy Moth next to the Cutty Sark. Great garden, conservatory and great food.

4. Admiral Hardy next to the Market (also worth a visit). Nice enough pub with decent food.

5. The Spread Eagle next to the theatre/Novotel. Another nice enough pub with decent food.

6. Oliver's Jazz Bar, by the Spread Eagle. Live jazz some nights and open until 2am Fri and Sat. Not sure if this place does food but worth it for the live jazz.

7. Vanbrugh, by Maze Hill station. Very nice 'local', also does food.

8. Bar Du Musee, Nelson Road. Another late bar/restaurant, gets lively at the weekends.

My personal recommendations are the Old Brewery and a window seat in the Trafalgar. The Vanbrugh is my local and worth a visit if you are in the neighbourhood.

You may also want to wander round nearby Blackheath 'village' and check out one of the many pubs there.

Edited: 29 September 2010, 12:55
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Pubs in Greenwich?

Definitely visit the Old Brewery. The design is actually really well done, and the beers are fabulous. They feature a wide variety of Meantime beers, which are brewed in Greenwich (though the last time I was there they had one guest tap from Brooklyn Brewing Co.!). The Old Brewery is basically attached to the visitor information center, so it's very easy to find. Cheers!

Bristol, United...
2 posts
3. Re: Pubs in Greenwich?

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! Much appreciated, will let you know how I get on!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Pubs in Greenwich?

My favourite pub in Greenwich is, I think, the Yacht. Good beer, adequate food, and a great view of the traffic on the river if you site at the back windows.

To get to it, head for the Trafalgar, the dive down an unpromising looking alley at the back of that.

If having seen it you don't fancy the Yacht, carry on past it and you will come to the Cutty Sark, a larger pub on multiple levels, the top one of which is quite vertiginous after a few pints.

Failing those two, the Kings Arms in the road that runs up to the park from the centre is quite pleasant, and has an OK garden.

5. Re: Pubs in Greenwich?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2011, 06:39