We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow T4 to Glouchester Road (on a broken leg)

Phoenix, Arizona...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Heathrow T4 to Glouchester Road (on a broken leg)

I need advise on how best to get from Heathrow Terminal 4 to our hotel right next to Glouchester Road Station. We are staying at the Best Western Cromwell. Glouchester Road Tube is not wheelchair accessible.

Any ideas keeping budget in mind? Hiring a private limo is not an option, but sure would be nice. :-)

Thanks in advance.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,558 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Heathrow T4 to Glouchester Road (on a broken leg)

If you can manage 15 stairs up with a landing halfway along then the Underground from T4 to Gloucester Road isn't a bad choice.

There is an escalator down from Arrivals at T4 plus a short walk (maybe a minute) on the flat from escalator to Underground station with the train platform at grade as well.

Sit near the front of the train as it's nearest the way out at Gloucester Road. At the top of the stairs (well done) look to the right for the lift. There is a wide gate at the ticket hall for you, your walking aid and your bags. After leaving the station turn left, looking towards Cromwell Road.

Stay on the same side of Gloucester Road as the station, cross Cromwell Road and again turn left; the BW is just past the Crowne Plaza. Maybe three minutes' walk in all.

If that's too much, www.justairports.com should be able to offer a saloon car (big enough for two) for about £30 from T4 to the BW.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,808 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Heathrow T4 to Glouchester Road (on a broken leg)

I'd have thought that hiring a private car would be your only sensible option, you probably don't want to be messing around on coaches or tube trains with a leg in plaster. Even more so if you're actually in a wheelchair.. (you do mention Gloucester Road not being wheelchair accessible).

A private hire cab, pre booked, should cost in the region of 40 pounds... if you need wheelchair access you'll need to find a company that can help with that, so confirm for us if you are in a chair and we'll help find something. A standard London black cab will cost around 60-70 pounds, and pretty much all of these are wheelchair accessible.

If you're only on crutches, someone like Handicars or Sky Express cars will be able to help.

When you book your cab, Gloucester Road is pronounced "Gloster road". If you pronounce it as Glow-chester you may raise a snigger, or even worse a blank look and some awkward silence as they'll have no idea where you are referring to.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,558 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Heathrow T4 to Glouchester Road (on a broken leg)

Good point. Stu, is your leg in plaster, and if so is it an above- or below-knee cast, or are you wearing a walking boot? If it's plaster, has the orthopod said you're all right to fly, and has the cast been split if it's plaster? If it's a boot will you be able to adjust it as and when?

Phoenix, Arizona...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Heathrow T4 to Glouchester Road (on a broken leg)

It's my girlfriend with the broken leg and it is in a boot. Doctors orders are no weight bearing so it's crutches or a wheel chair. If she can manage the stairs then we will try the Tube, but I want to be prepared for the worst. The coach might be a possibility.

Would taking the coach from T4 (can we board at T4?) to Victoria Station then a Black Cab to our hotel at Glouchester Road be a good option?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,558 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Heathrow T4 to Glouchester Road (on a broken leg)

The coaches from T4 operate (on weekdays) at 1105, 1230, 1305, 1505 and 1705 - all with 35 minute waits at the Central Bus Station at T3 - and you'd have to change coaches as well. Meh.

You could try taking the Underground to Earl's Court (lift up from Piccadilly line platform to ticket hall for Earl's Court Road then a small ramp up to street level) then a taxi from there. The cab driver might snivel a bit at the short journey but - to be succinct - tough.

Sorry about her NWB status, that's a tough thing to work with.

Phoenix, Arizona...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Heathrow T4 to Glouchester Road (on a broken leg)

Our flight comes in Saturday about Noon. I like your idea about Earls Court. That might be the winner. I read all the buses are handicap accessible. Do you have a good link for bus routes?

Thanks again.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,558 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Heathrow T4 to Glouchester Road (on a broken leg)

I just might have a little info about the buses.

The only downside about buses from Earl's Court is that Earl's Court Road is one way southbound; the 74 towards Baker Street (which calls almost at the main entrance of the BW) runs along Warwick Road, a bit of a hike for someone on crutches - and the Warwick Road way out at Earl's Court station has stairs to climb unless you want to make a very complicated manoeuvre around the perimeter of the station (if you're at the District line platforms look up to the gantry walkway for the mid-platform lifts).

But here are the spider maps for Earl's Court, Gloucester Road, South Ken and a few more major stops. The racks of TfL info at Earl's Court station usually have a Central London Bus Map or two lurking with the other bumph; if not then try Gloucester Road station (or ask at Earl's Court if it's not chockablock busy).

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…earlscourt-2070.pdf

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…gloucesterroad-10907.pdf

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…southkensington-2236.pdf

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…hydeparkcorner-2140.pdf

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…kensingtonhighstreet-2144.pdf

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…charingcrossquad-2048.pdf

Edited: 29 September 2010, 00:52
Watford, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
44,414 posts
54 reviews
8. Re: Heathrow T4 to Glouchester Road (on a broken leg)

I think that once you get on the tube, you might as well stay on to Gloucester Road rather than faff around at Earls Court. Taxis at T4 are plentiful and the rank is right outside the arrivals hall.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,770 posts
41 reviews
9. Re: Heathrow T4 to Glouchester Road (on a broken leg)

I have to admit, if I had a broken leg I wouldn't even consider anything other than a car service. It's going to cost you £9 for two one way tickets on the Underground to Gloucester (not Glouchester) Road and only around £20 more for a car.

I don't even know why you're considering public transport!

USA
Level Contributor
513 posts
10. Re: Heathrow T4 to Glouchester Road (on a broken leg)

I'm with you dicanio....a car service is the way to go. I once had a stress fracture in my foot and had to wear a boot (not a plaster cast) and there's no way it would have been easy for me on the tube or bus.