We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Lake District

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
London to Lake District

Hi,

In June, I'll be flying from the states into Heathrow...with the plan to head up to the Lake District and to do the C2C walk...I've flown into Europe before and know that the 6+ train ride will be hard for me to do right after flying all night (I know it's only like a 7 hour flight, but...)... (cuz of jetlag/tiredness)...any recommendations of what to do? Where to stop? (should I try and get a few hours of travel in...? I have a few days padding and could stop and stay somewhere and sightsee...or...?

thanks,

Kirsten

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,731 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Lake District

Instead of the schlep on the tube then taking a train why not try to get a flight to Manchester then take the train from there or even bettwer try to fly direct to manchester which has a train station in the airport which can get you to the Lakes much easier than from London

Midhurst, West...
Level Contributor
110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Lake District

I agree with the previous poster, get a flight (they are quite cheap if booked through Ryanair and EasyJet) to Manchester. You can then get a short train journey to the Lakes once you are rested. There are plenty of places to stay in Manchester.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,364 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Lake District

That looks like good advice if you don't want to just stay a night or two in London. If I recall correctly, the main line towards the Lakes doesn't stop anywhere very picturesque--I vaguely remember places like Crewe, Lancaster, or Wigan!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,279 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Lake District

Ryanair and Easyjet do not fly from Heathrow and transferring between airports means that it takes longer and costs more than a flight direct from Manchester

Besides Ryanair do very few intra-UK flights - mainly Belfast to a few places in the UK and Stansted to Prestwick. Neither helps the OP.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,112 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Lake District

How much time do you have between landing and doing the C2C walk? There are plenty of places where you could stop off en-route but time is the key.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Lake District

It depends on where you are going in the Lake District, but, for example, trains from London Euston to Windermere take less than 3 1/2 hours.

Have a look at the National Rail Planner at ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/planjourney/query

I agree with Alanrow that the train is really a more restful option than flying, but I disagree with vnrose52 that all the places on the west coast mainline are boring.

I was in Lancaster for work last week and thought some of the town was charming and the interesting castle, which is a 5 minute walk from the station, has tours for the public. The town spreads from around the castle.

If you go straight to the Lake District from your flight, do set an alarm to go off before you are due at your destination. The train goes to Glasgow and you could find yourself further north than you intended.

BTW, try to buy a ticket in advance. The walk on cost is £200+, but advance fares are much less. As are dsenior tickets if you qualify (age £60) and buy a senior rail pass.which drops the walk on ticket to £48 return!

Edited: 08 March 2010, 20:44
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Lake District

Sorry, I can't edit the post a second time.

It is the on the day return fare, without a rail pass, which is over £200, it drops greatly with advance purchase. Or the student or the senior rail cards.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,364 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Lake District

Leagle, I apologize if I did some of those towns a disservice--I just kept thinking about "dark Satanic mills" and Orwell's "The Road to Wigan Pier," which I vaguely remember from college! But I did look at the journeyplanner and the whole trip from Heathrow would only be four-plus hours. I think once I got started I'd just go all the way.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Lake District

It is ok vnrose, no offense taken.

A lot of the towns along the west coast are boring (has anyone ever stopped at Crewe?), but Lancaster has a certain charm, at least on a sunny day, and a lot of the scenery on the way up is rural and lovely.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Lake District

I haven't booked a flight yet, so could spend several days sight-seeing. I was in England a few years ago and spent over a week in/around London, so don't have a super strong urge to spend time there, but rather see more of the country. I never thought of flying into Manchester and so looked up prices...it's only a couple hundred dollars more, but a couple more hours of travel...So, as much as I like the idea of rolling through the English countryside on a train, flying in closer to my destination is also appealing. (My destination is St. Bee's, where the C2C walk starts)... Some of the information I looked at said that to travel by train from Manchester to St. Bee's there were a couple of transfers, so for sure I'd want to rest a night (in Manchester?) so I could be alert and actually make it to my destination!

Thank you for all your advice! I'm open to more! :)