We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Communal sitting rooms or lobbies in hotels

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,109 posts
61 reviews
Communal sitting rooms or lobbies in hotels

I recently stayed at base2stay (S. Kensington/Earls Court area) for 10 nights. I was out and about every day and a few evenings, and usually was ready to relax and go to sleep by the time I got back to my room.

As much as I like base2stay - and I really do! - it does lack a lobby or any kind of residents' or communal sitting room. There's a bench in the small and busy reception area, and another backless bench at the top of the first flight of stairs, but neither is in any kind of area it would be comfortable to sit in. There were a couple of times when I wished they had such an area. I wanted to sit and read and write postcards and notes, but not in my room. I ended up down the street at a Starbucks, but that would not have been my first choice.

I've just booked my flights for a week in London next March. I'm considering base2stay again, and also looking at the Darlington Hyde Park. The Darlington has a communal sitting room, and I like the idea of being able to sit there with a book and a cuppa, if the weather isn't pretty and I have an hour or two to kill.

I've read the TA reviews and priced the rooms at the Darlington, and although I may go back to base2stay, I keep thinking about having a place to sit down other than my hotel room.

Any comments on the Darlington in general, and whether having a sitting area in one's hotel is of any use, would be welcome.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Communal sitting rooms or lobbies in hotels

I just returned from a stay at the Hilton Metropole on Edgware Road and one of the things I really enjoyed about it was the lounge area in the lobby. There was a Costa Coffe with it's own lounge, then a seperate loungey area which expanded over several levels in the lobby. You could read quietly, order a drink or a drink and meals. It was the perfect place for my friends to meet me and us to hang out my first night in London, we had drinks and snacks for a few hours with large windows to people watch outside. I enjoyed crashing for a lite lunch there one day, too, when I wanted something better than take out in my room, but did not feel like dealing with a restaurant. I did not even consider it when I booked at that hotel but as it turns out it came in very handy having a nice lounge area in the lobby during my stay.

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
2. Re: Communal sitting rooms or lobbies in hotels

Hello!

I can't comment on the Darlington but if you like the area then I recommend Chrysos http://www.chrysoshotel.com/index.asp.

It has a little lounge with a telly and a bar. Nothing big and fancy but I would say that it is cozy.

TBH, I don't use the lounge unless I'm meeting someone and it's too cold to wait outside. The few hours that I stay in and relax, I want to do it after taking a shower and with my feet up.

3. Re: Communal sitting rooms or lobbies in hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2010, 06:23