We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brompton Catholic Church services?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
544 posts
Save Topic
Brompton Catholic Church services?

Hi,

Can you tell me about Church services on a Sunday morning for your Brompton Oratory Catholic Church.... It looks like a beautiful church, and I'd like to attend Mass while I'm there....

Thank you in advance

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,675 Reviews
from US$123.20*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor, and Bath with...
2,250 Reviews
from US$125.90*
Best Seller
London Harry Potter Tour of Warner...
747 Reviews
from US$103.10*
London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brompton Catholic Church services?

Sunday services are at 7.00am, 8.00am, 9.00am (Latin—1962 Missal),10.00 Family Mass (sung English - during school term), 11.00 Solemn Mass (sung Latin, Novus Ordo) (Refreshments after 11.00am Mass, in St.Joseph's Hall), 12.30pm, 4.30pm and 7.00pm.

(bromptonoratory.com/index_files/Page327.htm)

Is that what you were after?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
544 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Brompton Catholic Church services?

Yes, thanks again jdbri -----

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brompton Catholic Church services?

It's the regular church of former Prime Minister Tony Blair and wife and family. Of course everyone is welcome to go there.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
544 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Brompton Catholic Church services?

Thank you, Glyn1 ---

Any other churches in London you might recommend I see (other than Westminster Abbey)??

London
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brompton Catholic Church services?

Some of the services at the Brompton on a Sunday are in Latin, not English

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Brompton Catholic Church services?

> Any other churches in London you might recommend I see (other than Westminster Abbey)?? <

Do you want a Catholic or Protestant service? Which denomination?

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
593 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brompton Catholic Church services?

We went to Mass at Brompton Oratory on our last visit, and the service was beautiful. We also enjoyed poking our heads into St. Etheldreda's RC Church, near Holborn Circus. It's quite an old church with an interesting history. Enjoy your travels!

London
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Brompton Catholic Church services?

There is a small charming church by the river near battersea. http://home.clara.net/pkennington/index.htm

It's right next to the river and there is a shingle slipway down to the Thames where a couple of Swans hang out. There are a few houseboats moored nearbye and it's a very pretty little spot overall. No idea what flavour of faith it is but if i was going to worship I think I'd go here.

London
Level Contributor
654 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Brompton Catholic Church services?

And the hero/villain Benedict Arnold is buried there.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Brompton Catholic Church services?

If it's a Catholic church you want, I would (well, actually do) choose St Etheldreda's over Brompton Oratory any day. It's arguably the oldest Catholic church in the English-speaking world, and pretty well the only medieval English church where Catholic services are regularly held (the other 8,000 surviving medieval churches in England underwent a change of ownership in the 16th century).

Some might regard the London Oratory as "beautiful": frankly it's just another overwrought Baroque church, of which Europe has tens of thousands (most a great deal nicer). At the main Sunday Mass, you get a wider range of settings at the Oratory (mostly Mozart and the like) - but there are dozens of decent Anglican churches in London singing the same Masses just as well. At St Etheldreda's it's all either real Plainsong, or setting from earlier composers, like Palestrina. The main Mass at both is in Latin (surprisingly common in London's Catholic churches)

At St Etheldreda's Mass was first celebrated 800 years ago - and it's still celebrated in the language and with the music congregations would have heard 800 years ago.

London is astonishingly short of old churches - at least as we understand "old" - since most were destroyed in 1666. The chapel of St Peter ad Vincula in the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, St Ethedreda's, St Bartholomew's in Smithfield, St Ethelburga's (Bishopsgate), All Hallows (by the Tower) and Temple Church are almost the only churches in the centre predating 1500.