We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a model airport on show in London ?

Gozo Malta
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a model airport on show in London ?

My son is an enthusiast on model airports. When we visit London, I plan to give him a surprise by visiting one, if there is a good one on show. Any ideas ? Any web links ?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a model airport on show in London ?

Not sure about model airports, but London City Airport is fairly compact and he may prefer the real thing! It's easy to reach on the DLR and is conveniently close to Canary Wharf and not too far from Greenwich.

The world's oldest model village, Bekonscott, is not too far from London and is quite quirky and not part of some international theme park group. It's been there forever - I remember being taken there about 40 years ago as a 10 year old. You can catch a train from Marylebone to Beaconsfield, takes about 40 minutes - Beaconsfield has some gorgeous buildings in its high streer and is a very fancy & prosperous small town on the edge of the Chilterns. Some nice restaurants there too.

http://www.bekonscot.co.uk/

Mentioned in this post
Greenwich
Greenwich
5,506 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Marylebone
Marylebone
137 Reviews
London, UK
Beaconsfield
Beaconsfield
Buckinghamshire, UK
Gozo Malta
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a model airport on show in London ?

Wow, the model village attraction looks like a real treat for my kids. I shall be looking at the website in more detail. I thank you very very very much - Lawrence

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a model airport on show in London ?

I may be wrong, but I think there might be a lego airport at Legoland. Depends how old your son is though. Legoland is better for the under 10s.

Mentioned in this post
LEGOLAND Windsor Resort
LEGOLAND Windsor Resort
16,641 Reviews
Windsor, UK
Washington State
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a model airport on show in London ?

Caveat about Bekonscot: Although IMHO I thought it adorable as a child [still do], it is not very large and certainly won't take up a whole day, really it would only take up a morning, if that.

"...The site is approximately two acres of which just over half is a miniature 1:12 landscape..."

via wikipedia.

You could get there by train [via Marylebone], but it's really very much outside of London and is considered in the home counties [commuter belt].

A bit of trivia an episode of 'Midsommer Murders' was filmed there.

If you had a car and still wanted to go there, there is a great pub nearby called 'The Royal Standard of England'

http://www.rsoe.co.uk/

Mentioned in this post
Marylebone
Marylebone
137 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Washington State
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a model airport on show in London ?

Also, thinking about it.

Again if you did have a car and were out that way ~ another place you could visit, by going back on the M40 is to go to the Wycombe Caves ~ that's usually a kiddie type of thing to do.

http://www.hellfirecaves.co.uk/

Gozo Malta
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a model airport on show in London ?

I thank you all. Very useful. I shall be considering all your ideas, with internet in front of me :-)

7. Re: Is there a model airport on show in London ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2010, 04:18