We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow to Greenwich?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow to Greenwich?

My mom and I will be traveling to London in December. We're staying at a flat in Greenwich. From what I've read, it seems as if a Tube-Bus combination is the best option, but I just wanted to check if anyone knows of a direct bus/coach from Heathrow to Greenwich.

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Heathrow to Greenwich?

No, you won't find a taxi waiting at Maze Hill station. You *might* find one at Greenwich. As railenth. says, you *will* find them at Lewisham.

I'm in a bit of a rush at the moment (about to go out to dinner in Vienna!), but I'll take a look at this again at the weekend and see if I can give you sensible suggestion.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Heathrow to Greenwich?

I've had another look, and I'm afraid that this is a bit of an "I wouldn't start from here" question, assuming you have a lot of luggage.

If I were doing it without a huge amount of luggage (say, no more than a large rucksack), I would probably put up with the lengthy interchange at Green Park, and take the Piccadilly-Jubilee-188 bus (from North Greenwich) route.

Can anyone else remember if there are lifts available at Green Park to ease that interchange?

With a lot of luggage, I'd bite the bullet and go for a taxi from Heathrow - a pre-booked minicab to meet the flight. Someone like Handicars, Simply Airports and the others will probably do it for £60 (£50 + car park).

If that's out of the question, then the suggestion of getting to a station that does have a taxi rank is a reasonable one - Lewisham or maybe Greenwich. Most services to SE London got from Charing Cross/Waterloo East/London Bridge, none of which is hugely easy to get to from Heathrow - Charing Cross is easiest of them, but still requires you to drag your luggage up the slight hill from Embankment tube station.

Depending on what time of day you are arriving, Cannon Street could be a good option. If you get the Piccadilly line to Hammersmith, then change there to the District (other side of the same platform), then stay on that line through to Cannon Street, you can get trains from there AT SOME TIMES OF DAY. I recommend avoiding the 5pm to 6pm period, as the trains will be crammed with City workers going home. Take a look at the National Rail (www.nationalrail.co.uk) website to see when there are DIRECT trains to Lewisham or Greenwich - note that at other times there will be services shown, but they'll require you to change trains at London Bridge (which you want to avoid).

Also a possibility is the part-time service from Victoria (also on the District line) to Lewisham and Blackheath. Again, look at the national rail site to see if times match your schedule.

Finally - you could get the Heathrow Connect to Paddington, and arrange to be met by a pre-booked minicab there. That'll cost you about £30 for the cab plus whatever the Connect fare is (£7?).

I'm sorry that this is painful. As I said earlier, I do try to avoid Heathrow, partly because of this transport problem, and partly because Heathrow itself is a hell-hole.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Heathrow to Greenwich?

Thanks for the detailed reply, Nick!

According to TFL, the Greenwich DLR station *does* have a taxi rank, but National Rail says the Greenwich Railway Station does *not* have a taxi rank. Are they different stations then? And if so, are they close enough to tote our bags from one to the other? For that matter, TFL says the North Greenwich tube station has a taxi rank. We could hop a cab instead of taking the 188 bus.

Also, the TFL handicapped accessibility document says Green Park has lift access between the Jubilee and Picadilly lines, and that North Greenwich has lift access to the platform (from the ground level, I assume).

Can we expect taxis at the taxi ranks in the middle of the afternoon—say 15:00 or 15:30? If that's the case, we may just brave the Picadilly to Jubilee journey.

Thanks again for all the help, Nick. Can we buy you a pint if we manage to get there in one piece?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Heathrow to Greenwich?

Hi, Ragua.

Yes, the two Greenwich stations (DLR and national rail) are the same station. The DLR station has an extra exit, but that's into a nasty little alley that certainly doesn't have taxis - the taxi rank is actually at the front of the national station.

I don't use Greenwich station much (my station is Westcombe Park, two stops down the line), so I can't be authoritative about whether there will be taxis there mid-afternoon. On the times when I have used it in the evenings, there have normally been one or two taxis waiting.

Yes, there is definitely a taxi rank at North Greenwich. It's over to the right as you come up the second escalator. As it's a new Jubliee line station there must be lift access to ground level. I know that the lifts from platforms to the ticket gate/ticket hall level are in the middle of the platforms (so you have to walk the distance of about half a train from them to the ticket gates), but I can't think where they are from the ticket hall to ground level.

A pint - how about at whatever TALF meet there is when you are over?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
618 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Heathrow to Greenwich?

I use both Greenwich and Lewisham train stations every day and if carrying your luggage up/down any amount of stairs is going to be a problem I would suggest the Piccadilly/Jubilee Line combo to North Greenwich and then grab a cab or the bus from there.

This is because at the moment there are works going on at Lewisham and only one platform is really step free at the moment and trains from Charing Cross/Cannon Street come in to two different platforms.

At Greenwhich you also have to use stairs or walk down a ramp and go down that little alley that Greenwich Nick mentioned, then head back towards the mainline station.

There are more frequently taxis at Lewisham than at Greenwich.

If you do decide to use the Piccadilly/Jubilee Line combo and the lift between platforms isn't working, then it is easiest to follow the way out signs to the ticket hall and then back down to the Jubilee Line.

One other word of advice, if you are coming on a weekend, check if the Jubilee Line is working all the way to North Greenwich as they are upgrading the line.

We also prefer to use other airports as they are much easier to get to.

I can also recommend The Vanbrugh pub on Colomb Street (right by Maze Hill train station) as a nice pub to go for a drink/meal. There are also some good pubs, cafes and food shops on Royal Hill in Greenwich.

Hopefully this helps!

16. Re: Heathrow to Greenwich?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 21:19