We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helpful Hints

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Helpful Hints

Hello all. My teenage daughter and I will arrive at Heathrow on July 12th, depart Stansted on July 14, arrive Stansted on July 16 and depart Heathrow on July 17. When we arrive/depart Heathrow we will have several big pieces of luggage. When we depart/arrive Stansted we will merely have a backpack. I have a couple of questions:

1) Can you recommend a hotel(s) with reasonable travel costs near Heathrow(safe for two females)?

2) Do you know if the hotel(s) in that area would hold our bags for a couple of nights?

3) What is the easiest way to go in to London for sightseeing from the recommended hotel(s)?

4) How do we get to Stansted from the recommended hotel(s)?

I would like to be penny wise with my travels but would not mind paying a little more for my needs being met.

I have been very excited about the quality of answers and advice on this sight. I thank you in advance. Have a fabulous weekend.

Lothians
Level Contributor
763 posts
268 reviews
1. Re: Helpful Hints

A couple of questions for you to help narrow down the options:

1. Do you really want to stay near Heathrow? Perhaps your arrival time is a factor, but if not then maybe it is best to head into London on arrival.

2. You will have to check with the hotel, but it is not a standard request. However if you take the Stansted Express from Liverpool Street (LS) then you could use the luggage facilities there (LS) to store your excess baggage.

3. Which sights are must dos? That will help determine the hotels and transport routes to suit you.

4. Stansted from Liverpool Street is a relatively quick train journey. There are of course other options depending on where you will start your journey from.

And the million dollar question --- what is your price range for hotels? That will be a determining factor.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Helpful Hints

Hi Jack, Thank you for taking time to answer. I realize now that my questions were very general and a bit vague... sorry for that. I will try and narrow things down a bit:

1)I thought staying close to Heathrow would be easier since our bags are heavy and difficult to manage on a tube, etc. We could leave them in the room and then go to London to explore. I just didn't know if there was a way (other than expensive taxi) to get to an airport hotel from the airport or if there is a (very) easy transport to take us closer to a London hotel.

2)I saw some other posts talking about storage facilities. I just didn't know how difficult they were to find, how secure and how expensive they would be since we have 4 rather large bags.

3)I guess ideally we would want a hotel that is walking distance to a station and then we can wander London. I will probably try and locate a place to buy an oyster card...

4)Is the line to Stansted available at most train stations in the city?

I think I am still going pretty broad. I do so appreciate all of your advice. I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts.

Essex
Level Contributor
31,850 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: Helpful Hints

4) the TRAIN to Stansted leaves from Liverpool Street Station as previously stated. Look at this map:

tfl.gov.uk/assets/…standard-tube-map.pdf

and you will soon work out how to use the TUBE to get to Liverpool Street from ANY tube station in Central London.

4. Re: Helpful Hints

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 04:16