We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostel/Hotel Near Liverpool Street Station

South Elgin, IL...
Level Contributor
103 posts
Hostel/Hotel Near Liverpool Street Station

My friend and I were going to be staying with a friend of hers who lives in London. Unfortunately, the friend's plans changed and we already purchased our train tickets for the next day. We leave the following morning for Ipswich out of Liverpool Street Station. Does anyone know any hostels or inexpensive hotels where we could stay the night close to Liverpool Street? What area is the Liverpool Street Station considered? I tried looking up hotels and hostels, but it is difficult without knowing the name of that area of London.

Thanks for any help!

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,727 Reviews
from US$123.10*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,268 Reviews
from US$125.80*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
763 Reviews
from US$103.00*
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Hostel/Hotel Near Liverpool Street Station

The London Travelodge City Road sounds good for you. It a very new, budget hotel about 5 minutes walk from Liverpool Street Station:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186338-d734603…

You might get a double room for 49 pounds. Go to their website here:

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/

and put in your dates, specifying "London City Road" (they also have a "London Liverpool Street" but that's very slightly further away and a little older).

UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
74 reviews
2. Re: Hostel/Hotel Near Liverpool Street Station

Hi Kelly,

You could also try the City YMCA nearby, see:

http://www.cityymca.org/

It'll be hostel rather than hotel accommodation.

Liverpool Street Station is part of the 'city' (i.e. financial centre). It's near the London Wall and the Barbican Centre (arts centre). Also near the East End (e.g. Brick Lane, Spitalfields, etc.). Islington / Angel is not too far away either - about 20 to 25 min walk.

Not too touristy, but within walking distance of St Paul's Cathedral (15 - 20 min walk) and the Thames. There is a Waitrose and large Marks & Spencer in the area, if you need to get groceries. Lots of small coffee places and takeaways around the area, but harder to find a proper sit-down restaurant which is in the budget range - except maybe Wagamamas on Ropemaker Street (near Moorgate tube station)

See www.wagamama.com/locations_map.php…

Cheaper food options are usually available around the Angel / Islington area and around Clarkenwell Road. There will also be assorted pubs, kebab places, etc. around the area, especially near Old Street.

There are 3 different tube stations in the area - Liverpool St. (just next to the train station), Barbican and Moorgate. All within 5 - 10 min walk of each other. So, you can easily travel by London underground if you need to head out of the area.

Hope the above helps.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,090 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Hostel/Hotel Near Liverpool Street Station

Glyn is definitely younger and fitter than I. I could walk from the TL City Road to Liverpool Street station in about 15 minutes - but honestly, I'd rather take the number 205 bus, which stops right in front of the hotel's front door.

The TL to the east of the station is a good option as well, and I think it's marginally closer to the station.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Hostel/Hotel Near Liverpool Street Station

>> harder to find a proper sit-down restaurant which is in the budget range <<

What !!! The area is teeming with budget sit down restaurants. Not everyone who works in the City is on Traders wages !

15 minutes from City Road to Liverpool Street, TP ? you must be going the long way round. Worship Street, Appolo Street and then down the passage way that comes out between Boots and Platform 1.

5. Re: Hostel/Hotel Near Liverpool Street Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 07:19