We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to see autumn colours this September?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
224 posts
252 reviews
Save Topic
Where to see autumn colours this September?

I will be in London this September and would like to know where I can see the autumn colours ( I will be based in London ) and hopefully some nature walks as well.

Would appreciate if anyone can suggest a day trip out of London for this. Many thanks!

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,675 Reviews
from US$123.20*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor, and Bath with...
2,250 Reviews
from US$125.90*
Best Seller
London Harry Potter Tour of Warner...
747 Reviews
from US$103.10*
16 replies to this topic
paris london
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to see autumn colours this September?

In the parks, particularly Hampstead Heath, though September is early for this.

London, England
Level Contributor
9,636 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to see autumn colours this September?

The best time is usually around mid October and last 2 or 3 weeks. Hampstead Heath is nice at that time of year or Richmond Park.

London, United...
Level Contributor
631 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to see autumn colours this September?

In late September you'll see some but, as other posters have said, it's really too early for autumn leaves!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to see autumn colours this September?

I was going to suggest Richmond Park too. Also Epping Forest. But yes, you're probably a month too early.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,095 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to see autumn colours this September?

The colours don't begin until we get the cold nights and the day length gets much shorter during the day which is in October, usually late in the month.

They can sometimes begin in late September with patches of colour in the trees or if you go to a formal garden where they have non native trees those change colour earlier as they are more delicate for our climate

So probably best to ask when you get here and we know if it's going to be a cold autumn or warm one but if you can Richmond Park is a good suggestion

Edited: 23 June 2018, 21:47
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
424 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to see autumn colours this September?

Regents and St James Parks- I have some lovely photos taken at both places in the autumn

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to see autumn colours this September?

These days the peak time for autumn colours is early November. A few non native trees will be on the turn in September, the best example being liquidambar styraciflua and there’s a magnificent specimen outside St Paul’s Cathedral, but for native trees you have to wait until the end of October with the best display occurring in November and then the winds come and it’s over.

London, England
Level Contributor
9,636 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to see autumn colours this September?

Another place to go, but it's quite a way from London is Westonbirt, the national arboretum. Lots of different tree varieties.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
224 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to see autumn colours this September?

Thank you all for the helpful advice. Hopefully this September will be different and I can catch my first ever autumn in its full glory. Does it mean autumn colours start from the north and move towards the south? Perhaps a day trip up north ( in September ) to make my wish come true ?

Pardon my questions as I live near the equator where it is hot and humid all year round.

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
473 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to see autumn colours this September?

One place that is lovely at any time of the year, but truly spectacular for autumn leaves, is Burnham Beeches. It is a large area of ancient woodland to the west of London.

By public transport the best route would be Paddington Station to Slough, then bus X74 - total time around 1hr 15 min from London.

However, as others have said, September is too early for a really vibrant display anywhere in the UK. The colours that precede the falling of the leaves are all part of the trees' shutting down their inner biochemical activity that has lasted since spring, and September usually sees only a gradual dropping of temperatures; the days are still reasonably long and the trees can still make some growth.

Edited: 24 June 2018, 12:49
Reply to: Where to see autumn colours this September?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted