We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airbnb where to stay

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
airbnb where to stay

Should i stay in Chiswick near the Turnham tube or in woolwich along the water right by woolwich arsenal station? Which is better for all the tourist areas?

12 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: airbnb where to stay

Neither of those areas is particularly convenient for typical tourist activities in London. Is there a reason why you've isolated those two locations?

Can you share the links of the properties you're considering? It's difficult to give a recommendation without more information on where these properties are.

Without knowing anything else, I'd probably choose the property near the Turnham Green tube station, as you'd have access to the District line. (And Night Tube on the Piccadilly line, I'm quite sure)

Edited: 22 June 2018, 14:31
London, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: airbnb where to stay

Also, Woolwich Arsenal station is in Zone 4, so you'd spend more money over Turnham Green to get into the centre of London. Not to mention, you need to change from the DLR to another line. (Not that there's anything wrong with the DLR - it's fun to ride at least once - but I'm guessing you'd rather spend more of your holiday enjoying London than its transportation network. Another reason to find something closer to the centre!)

If those are really your only two options, then I'd choose Turnham Green.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
52 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: airbnb where to stay

Those were the most affordable options with the best ratings that i personally liked on Airbnb. Thank you for you advice!

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,996 posts
110 reviews
4. Re: airbnb where to stay

We love Chiswick, especially convenient if Heathrow is your airport. Have stayed there 3 times, once for 15 days. Turnham Green Station is Zone 2 traveling into London.

Many nice restaurants and pubs, Turnham Green is especially nice on summer evenings. The gardens (free) at Chiswick House are about 15 minutes on foot and well worth a visit.

http://chiswickhouseandgardens.org.uk

Edited: 22 June 2018, 15:14
Edgware, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: airbnb where to stay

Not sure about the areas but from what I have heard you should stay away from airbnb accommodations. Louise

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,996 posts
110 reviews
6. Re: airbnb where to stay

<Not sure about the areas but from what I have heard you should stay away from airbnb accommodations. Louise>

And where exactly have you heard this Louise?

I’ll agree due diligence is needed when looking for any type of accommodation, even hotels.

It does sound like the OP has done this.

We’ve stayed in some very nice Airbnb properties and met some very nice hosts. Our favorite one happens to be in Chiswick, where, as I said, we’ve stayed three times.

Your opinion is your opinion, however even better if it’s based on experience.

London, United...
Level Contributor
472 posts
40 reviews
7. Re: airbnb where to stay

No reason to avoid Airbnb outright (well, yes there are - for one, it's not sustainable for the local economy, but that's a separate issue), but it's important to rigorously scrutinise each listing. Some hosts can be quite liberal in describing their properties' location and features. That's why it's always helpful to share the links to the properties on a forum here, so other people can comment and point out things you might have missed.

OP, Chiswick is nice. If I were visiting London, I'd stay there without hesitation. But if your primary purpose in coming to London is to visit sites in central London, then you might want to move your accommodations search there. Have you considered Premier Inn? It's a budget hotel chain that features super comfortable, if basic, rooms.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,814 posts
476 reviews
8. Re: airbnb where to stay

I would prefer Chiswick over Woolwich any day, but I feel that somewhere more central would be of more benefit to you.

It's my personal choice to avoid AirBnB, but I respect others right to make their own choices.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,996 posts
110 reviews
9. Re: airbnb where to stay

Travel times from Turnham Green Tube Station

District line

Westminster-25 minutes

District line with a cross platform change to Piccadilly line at Hammersmith

Green Park-20 minutes

Piccadilly Circus-22 minutes

District line with cross platform change at Acton Town

Heathrow T2,3-37 minutes

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,996 posts
110 reviews
10. Re: airbnb where to stay

Airbnb/HomeAway/Londonbb. Etc

To add, my preference when I travel is to stay in one of these accommodations where the host/owner lives on premises or close by, making sure that the let is legitimate.

We had one unpleasant stay at an Airbnb in 2014 (in retrospect, it was clearly not legitimate) learned my lesson well about due diligence.

Reply to: airbnb where to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted