We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport change during night time

7 posts
Airport change during night time

Unfortunately I have to change airport for my flight back home,I arrived at London City airport at 9:40pm on a Tuesday night need to be at London Heathrow airport before my next connecting flight at 9:40am on Wednesday. I'm traveling alone, what is the best way to get from one airport to another at night by train or private transportation?..

will appreciate any or all suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

11 replies to this topic
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,879 posts
1. Re: Airport change during night time

I'd find somewhere in central London for the night preferably near South Kensington / Earls Court, then take the DLR / Tube (DLR to Canning Town, Jubilee Line to Green Park, Piccadilly Line to South Kensington / Earls Court) to the hotel and the next day take the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
291 reviews
2. Re: Airport change during night time

Plan a journey - Transport for London

https://tfl.gov.uk › plan-a-journey

This should guide you. Hood luck.

Edited: 12 December 2017, 19:47
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,729 posts
47 reviews
3. Re: Airport change during night time

This journey can be done easily via dlr to canning town, jubilee line tube to green park and piccadilly line to heathrow. Where are you staying that night?

Dresden, Germany
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Airport change during night time

Bit of a trek from LCY, but I'd be inclined to head to the Travelodge at Hounslow Central. The hotel is a few minutes walk from the tube and an easy ride to Heathrow in the morning. The rates are usually extremely competitive too.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,076 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Airport change during night time

I too would be tempted to take the DLR to Canning Town then Jubilee line and Piccadilly line as above. If the rate at the Travelodge Hounslow Central doesn't suit then have a look at the Ramada Hounslow which is adjacent to the TL. Both are at most a two minute walk from Hounslow Central station - turn left out of the station and you'll see the hotels on the opposite side of the road - and will do for a few hours sleep.

London
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
68 reviews
6. Re: Airport change during night time

The good news is that City airport is very slick. You'll be through immigration and baggage claim very quickly. You'll be able to take the DLR and the tube to somewhere near Heathrow. As suggested above, Earls Court or Hounslow would be good.

One detail to watch for. If your plane is late, you will divert. No flights can be scheduled at LCY after 2200, and the runway is closed at 2230. If you're later than that, you divert. For example, the BA flight from Frankfurt last evening was 50 minutes late, it missed the curve and had to divert to Southend. If it looks like your flight is operating late on the day, speak to the airline rep before departure and ask what options you have to reroute.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,778 posts
50 reviews
7. Re: Airport change during night time

I stay at the Travelodge at Hounslow Central from time to time, usually 60 pounds max (or less depending on demand), and only ten mins away from check in once you get on a tube... which can be every ten mins at say 6am so maybe allow 20 mins total.

Slightly grubby neighbourhood if I'm honest, but not dangerous for a visitor (I've never once been pestered or bothered by anyone when going out to find food). This won't concern you anyway since you'll be sleeping rather than enjoying the nightlife of Hounslow.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,674 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Airport change during night time

Another option depending on which terminal you are flying from is the Premier Inn adjacent to T4 at Heathrow

New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,938 posts
110 reviews
9. Re: Airport change during night time

Another vote for the Travelodge Hounslow. Have stayed there twice. Very clean and comfortable.

I wouldn’t call the neighborhood “grubby” though. Grubby to me is dirty, unsanitary, grimy; not at all, seemed pretty clean to me. Very safe.

You’ll only be there 6-7 hours max.

7 posts
10. Re: Airport change during night time

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll be looking into those hotel Travelodge or Ramada. So I have to take The DlR tube from LCY to Hounslow, stay overnight,at 6am take another tube to Heatrow.

My flight is from Milan at 8:40pm, will ask the airline rep is there will be any divert.

Reply to: Airport change during night time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted