We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fantastic Liverpool !!

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
386 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Fantastic Liverpool !!

Hi all, What a fantastic time we had in your great city. 4 days not enough to do all we wanted. Saw Beatles museum on the 1st day, it was ok, but prefered the Liverpool museum for Beatles memorabilia, many more authentic Beatles connections in here, and the actual stage where John met Paul, from Woolton church hall has been set up in a fantastic circular small theatre, showing a short Beatles history film, with original voice over by the 4 Beatles.

Impossible to see all the other great things in there so we focused on the Beatles section. {and Shankly's coat}

Used the rest of the day to wander around and get our bearings, few beers in the Philarmonic, and food in "Bistro Jacques"both great. Found Mathew street on the way back to our hotel, bit tired for The Cavern so we gave it a miss. Early start on day 2, we caught public transport out to Woolton, a bus day ticket £3.20 each !!, cup of tea in the cafe,then a wander around the lovely village, up to St Peters churchyard, via the quaint old cinema. Walked down to Menlove Ave to Mendips, up to Strawberry Fields, lovely walk through the beautiful Calderstone park to Quarry bank school, taking some photo's of the old school front when a guy came out, thought he was going to tick us off for standing just inside the gates, instead, as it was half term he asked if we would like to come inside !!!! fantastic, [thank you so much} just a quick look around, then walk down to Penny lane. Legs getting a bit tired now and fancied a pint, back to the city on bus with our day ticket, a few more beers then into Cavern for free Lennon tribute. White star pub in the break, more Lennon, then back to hotel.

Wed, food in Phillpots sandwich bar {again} ,Walker art gallery, Anglican cathedral....what a place!!

We spent most of afternoon in there, lift and climb up the tower, plus audio guide, one of the guides a lovely elderly gentlemen was an old school master from Quarrybank, so I had a long chat with him. Found Ye cracke pub, few beers in there. Back across city to the hotel.

Thur, Phillpots for bacon sarnies again, then a trip on the Mersey ferry. Wife did some shopping while I found the pubs. Night time, into the Lion tavern, then down Mathew street to the Cavern for a Beatles tibute, packed, sweaty and fantastic.

We had some great food in Phillpots sandwich bar, Bistro Pierre and Bistro Jacques, and some superb beers in the Philarmonic, White star, Lion tavern, Ye cracke, The Welkin {weatherspoon}

Thankyou all in Liverpool for making our stay so memorable, we'll be returning this spring or summer for sure, loads more to see and do.

Didn't have time to see Anthony Gormley's, or to walk down from new Brighton and return by ferry. Pauls house, Georges, or Ringo's, all kept for our next visit.

The thing we'll never forget, is the friendliness of the people of Liverpool , everywhere we went, we were met by friendly smiling faces, and nothing was too much trouble.

It's a great city, with great people.

Thanks see you soon.... Alf.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fantastic Liverpool !!

Hi Alf

Glad you had a great trip to Liverpool and I'm also glad you checked out the White Star, Philharmonic, Lion Tavern and Ye Cracke.

Bistro Pierre is nice too - I went there for the first time myself last month.

And going up the tower at the Anglican Cathedral is amazing. You get some great views from up there. On a good clear day you can actually see Moel Famau in North Wales. A family friend is actually a stonemason at the cathedral.

Did you know the cathedral is made from sandstone from the quarry in Woolton, which is where Quarry Bank school and the "Quarrymen" also got their name from !

Come back to Liverpool soon Mr and Mrs Alf ;-)

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
386 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fantastic Liverpool !!

Hi Matt, Thanks for the help in earlier posts, we loved it there, didn't want to come home, some of the best people we've ever met, and some of the best pubs ever visited, if i'd known beforehand i would have bought tickets for the beer festival in the cathedral crypt..... never mind, keep it for next year !

In the Lion Tavern we picked up a camra ale list of Liverpool pubs for our next visit, so plenty more to see and do.

Alf.+ wife

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fantastic Liverpool !!

nice one alf........ good to hear your feedback....sounds like you had a great time!!!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fantastic Liverpool !!

Excellent trip report, full of enthusiasm!

Always good to get views of the visitors who use the forum, it just shows you how well it works, glad you enjoyed our city and people.

Come back soon!

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fantastic Liverpool !!

Thanks for the fedback and glad you enjoyed it. The Beer Festival tickets selll out early december, you have to queue for hours in the cold, CAMRA need to sort this by booking online, its not right for older or vulnerable people to have to queue like some soviet store thats had a fesh delivery of cabbages.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,233 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fantastic Liverpool !!

Brilliant..!!

Glad you got inside mine and Johns old school.

Would love to know who the old school master was in the Anglican !!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,913 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fantastic Liverpool !!

Doubt it was Mr Pobjoy, Headmaster, but I hear from another Old Boy of QB who attends re-unions that WP is still going strong and compus mentis.Enjoyed reading your review Alf.Somehow I don't think a visit to Liverpool would be the same without going to a few of the legendary pubs.From my early days at work in an office in Castle Street I can recall Pen and Wig, Rigbys and the Slaughterhouse (slightly) under-age drinking as it was over 50 years ago.

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
386 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fantastic Liverpool !!

Hi Gaz and Wirrel,

The schoolmaster was an old science teacher, at Quarrybank, he told me his name but I've sadly forgotten, as i was eagerly asking him about Lennon.

The old science master told me that Mr Pobjoy is indeed still alive, in his 90 th year, living in the Wirrel, and highly compus mentis !!

The Cathedral guide, ex science Master, is still pals with one of the Quarrymen, Rod Davies They meet for a chat and a meal quite frequently.

You know ?? wife and i are really missing Liverpool !!

Liverpool
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fantastic Liverpool !!

Alf,

glad the 2 of you had such a great time, and are looking forward to a second visit

also, thanks for the feedback, good feedback always helps others

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fantastic Liverpool !!

Glad you enjoyed our great city Alf and when you come back Anthony Gormleys statues are a must but a little hint dont leave the train at Waterloo get off at Hall Rd and have a lovely walk to the beach head south along the prom see the statues and get back on the train at Waterloo. If you have time on the same line at Freshfield we have a beautiful nature reserve with the very rare red squirrel dont miss it ! If you do both on the same day you should get off at Waterloo head North and back on the train at Hall Rd .for Freshfield .