We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Ireland from Liverpool ?

New Jersey
4 posts
Save Topic
Ferry to Ireland from Liverpool ?

Will be on a UK cruise in September. We will be in Liverpool for one day, about 9 hours. Would there be time to take a ferry to Ireland roundtrip from Liverpool?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,318 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Ireland from Liverpool ?

No - it's 8 hours each way

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Ireland from Liverpool ?

I'm afraid not - do double check with the Liverpool forum that there's not some superfast ferry or plane flight that we don't know of, but I think that that's unlikely.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g186337-i414-Liv…

If you really do want to get to Ireland, is there any chance of re-joining your ship at a later stopping point?

New Jersey
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Ireland from Liverpool ?

Thanks for replying so quickly to my query regarding "Liverpool to Ireland via ferry". I guess that I will need to take one of the shore trips that the Queen Mary offers to the passengers. Looking forward to seeing Liverpool, I think that's where most of my Irish ancestors sailed from to the USA.

Thanks again.

North Yorks, England
Level Contributor
311 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Ireland from Liverpool ?

can i ask why this is posted in the London forum...you are aware Liverpool is nowhere near London?

Anyway if you are going to spend your time in Liverpool (you should !) don't miss the Maritime Museum (free!) and packed with interest for those whose ancestors sailed out of the 'pool.

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Ireland from Liverpool ?

Why not explore on your own. The Maritime museum is at Albert Dock very near where your ship docks and as has been said it's free. There are also 2 cathedrals, the Walker Art Gallery and the World Museum all free and depending on when your visit is the new Museum of Liverpool Life (opens sometime in 2011).

Gibel

california
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry to Ireland from Liverpool ?

Why is it important that places are free? Would you not go if you had to pay?

North Yorks, England
Level Contributor
311 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry to Ireland from Liverpool ?

dodger...it's not important that things are free people are just being helpful by letting travellers know that these excellent attractions are on offer and that as an added bonus they are free - leaving travellers more in their budget to spend on nice things like shopping and meals etc.

I went to the Maritime museum as a child, it wasn't free then and I enjoyed every minute of it. I returned last year and it was great to wander round at leisure as it is now free and not feel as though I had to cram everything into one day.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry to Ireland from Liverpool ?

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to pop in and mention that I moved this topic to our Liverpool forum where it will hopefully be even more visible to those who are familiar with travel to/from Liverpool.

Thanks for participating and enjoy your trip!

Happy travels,

TA_Louise

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry to Ireland from Liverpool ?

Everything you will want to see..

Pier Head..Albert Dock...Mersey Ferries...Matthew Street...Liverpool One

are all easyily walkable from the cruise terminal..

If you want a trip on the ferries, then ask for a saveaway ticket, then after the ferry you can walk to Liverpool One ..get on the 86 / 80 or 79 bus routes and see the cathederals

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry to Ireland from Liverpool ?

Unfortunately, there's no superfast ferry from Liverpool to Dublin. Plus at around 8 hours as has already been mentioned, it's one of the longest Irish Sea crossings (the fast ferry from Holyhead in North Wales to Dublin takes under 2 hours). You can fly from Liverpool to Dublin in less than an hour but once you factor in travelling to and from airports, check in times and any possible flight delays, you'd have very little time to see anything. Liverpool is a great city with loads to see and do - it's the obvious place to spend what little time you'll have.