We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses from Windermere

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
145 posts
136 reviews
Buses from Windermere

People seem to think parking is murder in August. As we have rented a house for a week in Windermere in mid August I am wondering if we could use the buses instead. But I see the main open top service only runs every 20 minutes. So does it get overcrowded? Not much point in going somewhere on it and then being unable to get back in the late afternoon!

Have now realised we both have senior citizens' bus passes so might be cheaper too!

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,553 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Buses from Windermere

Touring the Lake District by bus is certainly a viable option and I would not worry about getting left behind on the trunk routes between Windermere and Ambleside as bus 555 also covers that stretch as well and runs into the evening. The only routes that might get overloaded are circular routes 77 & 77A from Keswick to Buttermere, as those routes have to be operated by small vehicle.

Further information on getting around the lake district by bus can be found on the internet here:

- Route map = https:/…20A4_WEB.pdf

- Timetable = https:/…cnl_summer_2017_lakes_connection_bo

- Further information = http://www.golakes.co.uk/travel/by-bus.aspx

P-t-B

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
145 posts
136 reviews
2. Re: Buses from Windermere

Thank you for your information. That's very useful.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,807 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: Buses from Windermere

Just back from Ambleside (it was wet). I was carless on one day and made good use of the buses. I was sold an Explorer ticket, which enabled me to travel throughout the lakes on Stagecoach buses. You can see a lot from the top floor. It struck me that the weekly Explorer tickets were very good value. There was also a combined car parking plus family ticket. There was free wifi and USB charging points on most of the buses and many of the buses announced the next stop.

Kendal seemed to be one of the bigger interchanges (all the routes I needed went twice an hour, so there was very little hanging about).

I was able to pick up a hard copy of the timetable (PtB's second link) in Booths in Kendal.

The 'bus station' (more of a big layby) is right outside the store (I am sure I'm not the first person to nip in there to buy snacks to get out of the rain and wait for my next connection).

Using the open-top number 78 bus to Seatoller I was sat by myself upstairs for 75% of the outward journey and then about 10 people got on and off on the way back (it got interesting when two double deckers met on that road!). The 555 was busier (all full upstairs by Ambleside), but nobody was standing.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,553 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Buses from Windermere

Sue - when you say Kendal, do you really mean Keswick? (I confuse the two as well but Kendal isn't actually within the Lake District).

P-t-B

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Buses from Windermere

We were in Windermere in July last week and buses are good option to travel around in the peak travel season. we have traveled few times during the day , always has enough seats

Aspatria, England...
Level Contributor
205 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Buses from Windermere

Yes I'm sure she does mean Keswick, but I think that although Kendal is technically outside the National Park, it's sufficiently near the edge to be very useful for journeys within it.h

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,807 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: Buses from Windermere

Sorry...yes definitely Keswick! (we only stopped in Kendal to buy diesel and get some groceries from Aldi).

If OP is still in Bath and lives/visits centrally they can have my hard-copy timetable booklet!

London, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
161 reviews
8. Re: Buses from Windermere

You certainly can get around the District by bus.

Go on the Penrith route to see Kirkstone Pass and Ulswater.

Get the 555 to Keswick and then the 77 and 78 over Honister Pass and past Buttermere.

Go on the car ferry over Windermere then the Mountain Goat bus to Hawkshead.

9. Re: Buses from Windermere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2018, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Windermere