We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to eat

Which Penrith hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Carrickfergus...
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Places to eat

I'm due to spend a few days in Penrith from 31st October during our kids mid-term break. I'm staying at the North Lakes again as it's easy to get to and I love their facilities. I love my pub grub and have eaten a number of times at the Horse and Farrier which I thoroughly enjoy. I see from other posts that the George and Dragon comes highly recommended and I definitely want to give it a go. Can you give me a few more pointers for pub grub. Doesn't have to be Penrith as I intend to travel round the lakes to Keswick, Ambleside etc. Being from Northern Ireland I have to try and cram in as much as I can over a short period. Thanks in advance.

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to eat

Queen's Head Tirril is good and you'll see their beers for sale in a lot of places.

Greyhound in Shap is a good food pub.

Further afield try Kirkstile Inn, Loweswater and the Wheatsheaf in Lorton.

Carrickfergus...
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to eat

Thanks very much for your response.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
74 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to eat

The Gate at Yanwath is good as well, The Wheathsheaf at Lorton nr Cockermouth also very good. The Wheatsheaf at Wetheral very good too. Both the Wheatsheafs have good local cask ale as well as excellent food and a good old country pub feel

Carrickfergus...
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to eat

Thank you. That's 2 recommendations for thhe wheatsheaf.

north west
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to eat

I can second the Gate at Yanwath - gastro pub food in lovely surroundings. We ate there a couple of weeks ago.

Actually I would also second the Wheatsheaf in Lorton and at the Kirkstile inn - foodwise the wheatsheaf is better value and the menu is really varied with plenty of game options, but the kirkstile is a fantastic setting.

Edited: 14 October 2011, 12:06
6. Re: Places to eat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 11:19
Get answers to your questions about Penrith
Recent Conversations