We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toilet charges

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Toilet charges

Having visited Keswick last week 14th Sept parked in the lake car park which at £3.20 for up to 2 hours was quite expensive, to my horror the visit got worse having visited the ladies toilets to find I needed 4op per visit (pity anyone on diuretics). I find this charge unacceptable and will think twice before visiting Keswick again as will other people I would think. Keswick is very popular and I think the council is taking the p.

27 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,634 posts
220 reviews
1. Re: Toilet charges

I’m afraid that, like many other places, cuts have to take place. Councils and Parish councils have decided that the people who use public toilets, rather than local Council taxpayers, should pay for them.

It’s not a new idea (remember “spending a penny”?) and there are alternatives eg using the facilities in your accommodation or when you stop for refreshments.

Many places now have no public toilets at all. IMO it’s better to pay than to stay at home.

If you avoid everywhere that charges for use of the toilets you will pretty soon run out of places to visit.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
43,479 posts
104 reviews
2. Re: Toilet charges

Were the toilets clean? Toilet Paper? Soup? Water? Bins? if so who do you think is going to fund these facilities if not the users.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
98 reviews
3. Re: Toilet charges

Unfortunately having to pay for public toilets is becoming far too common across the country. Blame the already stretched budgets of councils.

There are usually alternatives though, if you didn't want to pay.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Toilet charges

Check with other councils ie Alnwick and see how they do it. If you don't have accomodation in Keswick are you then to be forced into a cafe to buy food you don't want?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Toilet charges

I think the car park charges should more than cover the toilet charges.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Toilet charges

I don't mind paying a charge but 40p is ridiculous local businesses are the people who benefit from tourism I don't see any reason they don't supplement with a charge apart from council tax.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
4,324 posts
70 reviews
7. Re: Toilet charges

Any toilet facility that provides soup as well for 40p is well worth it!

(I know, typo but still 😀 ).

Edited: 18 September 2018, 17:15
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,634 posts
220 reviews
8. Re: Toilet charges

“ If you don't have accomodation in Keswick are you then to be forced into a cafe to buy food you don't want?”

“local businesses are the people who benefit from tourism I don't see any reason they don't supplement with a charge apart from council tax.”

Rather a contradiction there don’t you think? You want businesses to pay for facilities but you don’t appear to want to spend money in local cafes or restaurants.

The toilets may not be owned by the car park owners. Are they?

Edited: 18 September 2018, 17:29
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Toilet charges

By the time you pay for a few visits to the toilet if there is 4 of you, there is no money left to spend in the cafes.

Lake District...
Level Contributor
676 posts
70 reviews
10. Re: Toilet charges

Allerdale Council who used to own the toilets planned to close them down even though they make a lot of money from car parking.

Town Council acquired them and run them through a non-profit making company..

The profit element over the last year has been about 4p per visit !!

As the Town council can not raise money from local businesses only from residents it cant afford to subsidise them .

The toilets in Borrowdale near the Lodore Hotel are about to be closed by the council, even 40p per visit would not pay for the cost of running them so no-one is willing to take them over.

Local residents and businesses are not happy with the situation but can do nothing about it, with only 2 elected district councillors their views can be safely ignored by the majority of the council.

Reply to: Toilet charges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Keswick
Recent Conversations