We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can we camp for 6 hours?

Manchester, United...
3 posts
1 review
Where can we camp for 6 hours?

Arriving from Ben Nevis around midnight this Saturday night/morning, and leaving for Scafell around 6am.

Can't get into a campsite due to our arrive time. Anyone know of any pubic parks or grounds we can arrive late to to camp for a bit?

At this rate, going to find a layby and a field, but would prefer somewhere official, or authorised.

5 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
3 posts
1 review
1. Re: Where can we camp for 6 hours?

Looks like a farmers field it is then ;)

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
156 reviews
2. Re: Where can we camp for 6 hours?

Perhaps this link will be helpful?

lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/…wild-camping

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
3. Re: Where can we camp for 6 hours?

I assume you're going to Wasdale Head. Any time I've been there around this time of the year there seems to be a lot of Three Peaks activity, extra field open for parking etc. You probably won't be alone. It's hard to see who would stop you camping in the middle of the night in any of the lay-bys along the side of Wastwater.

And don't climb Scafell. It's Scafell Pike you're after!

Manchester, United...
3 posts
1 review
4. Re: Where can we camp for 6 hours?

I was being lazy, yes it's scafell pike ;)

Just had a browse of Wastwater and area looks good, so thanks for that. I was looking around Hardknott Fort area!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
5. Re: Where can we camp for 6 hours?

I've always wondered which way people get to and from Wasdale Head for the Three Peaks. Hardknott is the most direct route, but I would have thought that coming from the north it was quicker to come round the western side of the Lakes. Heading on south it's definitely quicker to go via Birker Fell and Ulpha down to the A595.

Edited: 01 August 2018, 15:45
Reply to: Where can we camp for 6 hours?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted