We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two nights in Keswick or one in Keswick and one in Ambleside

Austin, Texas
4 posts
Save Topic
Two nights in Keswick or one in Keswick and one in Ambleside

Hello. I will be traveling the UK by car with my spouse and our four kids. We have two nights in the lakes district. I found a room on the water in Ambleside but only for the one night. The place I found in Keswick can keep us both nights. We are not such experienced travelers that I intuitively know how to choose - the night in the inn by the lake in Ambleside is very compelling, but the place is Keswick is nice as well. Do you think it would be better to split time between the two locations or stay put and drive to visit? Thanks for any advice, I would warmly accept any tips on things to do with children as well. We are not so much into shops as walks and lake and hill views. Charlie

Edited: 06 June 2017, 06:28
Mentioned in this post
Ambleside
Ambleside
Lake District, UK
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
14 replies to this topic
Chester
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Two nights in Keswick or one in Keswick and one in Ambleside

I agree with post 10 the Keswick YHA is in a good location next to the river and park and only a few mins walk in to town

Austin, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Two nights in Keswick or one in Keswick and one in Ambleside

Thanks everyone for your replies and input. I love that there is a forum where I can be in touch with people who know the exact area I am visiting! I'll need to look up the other areas we are planning to see as well. Based on the great advice, I did decide to book two nights in the Keswick YHA rather than move, with the rational that our mail purpose in staying in some hostels was to spend time among native Brits and travelers from other countries, so two nights in the same one is more helpful in that regard. We will go have a lunch or dinner at the Ambleside YHA and check it out for another trip. They did reply to my email confirming that all ensuite family rooms are on the lake side so should have a lake view (so nice). Thanks a bunch.

Edited: 07 June 2017, 23:01
London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Two nights in Keswick or one in Keswick and one in Ambleside

"I love that there is a forum where I can be in touch with people who know the exact area I am visiting! "

Absolutely, TripAdvisor is awesome like that! I'm more than happy to spend some of my time giving advice about a little bit of the world I know quite well, because I know that I will also get great advice when I'm travelling elsewhere to places I don't know so well from people who know them intimately. I don't know how people ever planned their holidays before TA came along!

I'm sure you'll have a great time in Keswick. It's a lovely little town. Let us know how you get on, and if you want any more advice about what to do in the meantime, just post back.

Mentioned in this post
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Austin, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Two nights in Keswick or one in Keswick and one in Ambleside

We completed the trip and I wanted to update the thread for any future travels who may come across it. We did book and stay two nights in the Keswick YHA. It is very nice inside, new and beautifully redone. Our room was a family room for six, which had a separate shower, separate toilet, and a sink in a nook off the main room. The bathroom was lovely, the room unfortunately slopes dramatically, so we felt a little sea sick. My husband and I were able to move the beds so they didn't slope head to foot but rather, side to side, which helped. There were three sets of bunks, or six single beds. No view, or a view of a dingy parking lot, but the rooms across the hall, without private bath, have a lovely water view and balcony. The staff told me both their family rooms are on the back (parking lot side, and for those wondering, Ambleside staff had previously confirmed to me their family rooms are all waterside.)

The staff were friendly and overall it was a great experience. I would say, though, for travelers with small children or people with lots of baggage or mobility impairments, the Keswick YHA is not ideally located. It has no street frontage and no where you can pull up to unload, rather you must find parking and unload on the street, carry your bags down a large set of stairs leading to the river walkway, then along the walkway about 100 yards to the door, then park somewhere up the hill or in town if you don't plan to move your car by 8 am. There is no outdoor play area for children unless they are old enough to go alone along the walkway to the street, then up and across the river to the park on the other side, which is lovely, but those with little kids will have to go. There'll be no relaxing with a pint and watching the kids play outside. Overall a great YHA, but if traveling with any of the above situations, I'd recommend the Ambleside YHA over Keswick.

Also to note, we thought we were skating in while British schools were still in session another week or two, we stayed in Keswick July 13th and 14th, but instead we hit the British school trip weeks, when lots of British schools apparently take the kids on two to three day overnight trips and sometimes stay in hostels, so the first night Keswick was extremely loud and crowded with children running and yelling everywhere and not a lot of supervision.They left the next morning, and the hostel staff told me the second night, which was school kid-free, was their only such night that month. Once they left it was very quiet and peaceful.

Mentioned in this post
Ambleside
Ambleside
Lake District, UK
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Reply to: Two nights in Keswick or one in Keswick and one in Ambleside
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted