We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Paris: All over water?

Which Dover hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ozarks
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bus to Paris: All over water?

I'm looking at taking the National Express Bus to Paris from Dover. (Are there other lines?) Do all the buses cross by ferry, or do some of them go by the tunnel? If so, how can I tell?

I plan to stay the previous night in Canterbury. Which is the easiest Dover bus station to get to?

Thanks.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
43,020 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to Paris: All over water?

National Express uses the Pencester Road Bus Station in Dover. You can take a local bus from Canterbury to Dover easy enough.

The bus from Canterbury Bus Station goes straight to the Pencester Road Bus Station in Dover and takes around 35 minutes - Stagecoach East Kent route 15.

stagecoachbus.com/timetables/15%5B4%5D.pdf

There is also the National Express route 007 Canterbury - Dover for which reservation is advised although not essential.

Beware if travelling on a Sunday/Holiday as local buses are very infrequent and first run is not until 1030am. You may have to take the train.

But I don't know whether the run from Dover to Paris uses the tunnel or ferry and as I am sure you noticed, the website doesn't say!

Hope that helps.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to Paris: All over water?

As said, there is no information on how the coach crosses the Channel. However if it calls in Dover I think it is unlikely that it doubles back to Folkestone to use the tunnel, so a ferry crossing is more likely.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
30,928 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to Paris: All over water?

Why go to Dover - you can get a Paris coach direct from Canterbury

Ozarks
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to Paris: All over water?

I want to be sure to cross over the water, to see the White Cliffs and just enjoy the view.

What bus goes directly from Canterbury?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus to Paris: All over water?

<<What bus goes directly from Canterbury?>>

Most if not all of the buses from Dover - which have started from London.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
30,928 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus to Paris: All over water?

<<What bus goes directly from Canterbury?>>

I just went to the NX website and typed in Canterbury & Paris

You also find that by clicking "view" you get a list of stops and timings - note the Paris coaches don't use the bus station mentioned earlier, so you have to take another bus to the ferry dock

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,290 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus to Paris: All over water?

At the moment there only appears to be one daytime coach that picks up in Canterbury - this is coach 122 which departs from Canterbury bus station most days at 1340 and must go across on the ferry as it is timed to pick up at both Dover and Calais Ferryports ! There is also a good chance that you will be able to get a discounted "FunFair" on it as because it has several stops, it will not be a popular coach for people from London

The only disadvantage with this coach is that it doesn't arrive in Paris until 2130 and as the Coach station is on the outskirts, it could be another hour before you reach your hotel.

8. Re: Bus to Paris: All over water?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 19:21