We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car needed to travel around the Isle of White?

London, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Car needed to travel around the Isle of White?

I am planning a short break to the Isle of White in April. We are currently thinking of using public transport and ferries to get across, but is a car needed to get around the island? Are there good public transport links in place - bus routes etc?

Thank you for your advice!

Amy

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car needed to travel around the Isle of White?

I would take a car much more flexible especially for a short break where time is at a premium. Some guest houses and hotels can get you deals on the ferries.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car needed to travel around the Isle of White?

I too think a car is advisable. Some of the places on the west coast are not close to each other as opposed to the south and east side of the island. A car is essential if you are to see most of the island in such a short time.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,843 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car needed to travel around the Isle of White?

There are buses so it's not impossible to get around, but would strongly advise you take a car to save time. Book it as part of a hotel package.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car needed to travel around the Isle of White?

Here's a map of the bus routes on the Isle of Wight, www.islandbuses.info/networkmap01.shtml

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,509 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car needed to travel around the Isle of White?

I never take my car because it's too expensive unless you travel at 5am in January and book 7 years in advance.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car needed to travel around the Isle of White?

I'd disagree over the expense point of ferrying a car across. We're going in June and paying around £70 return. I don't think that's bad. It would be cheaper to take your own car as opposed to hire one.

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car needed to travel around the Isle of White?

Think very hard before deciding on bringing a car.

As someone who lives on the Island I would say leave your car at home and utilise the excellent bus service. If you stay somewhere on the number 2 or 3 bus routes, you will find it fairly easy to get around. A bus rover pass is good value see www.islandbuses.info/ for prices.

As you are coming down from London you may be able to get a Megatrain ticket for as litte as £1 from Waterloo to Portsmouth.

see www.megabus.com

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,635 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car needed to travel around the Isle of White?

Bus, every time on the IOW - the service is so good.

Mike

Liveaboards
Level Contributor
6 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car needed to travel around the Isle of White?

I live on the Island. Really depends on you and your party, and what you enjoy doing. If you are active young folk, or more sedentary. Also if you enjoy a drink. The bus service is OK to good but you'll spend a lot of time on buses. Consider cycling -- the Island is famous for cycle tracks including disused railway lines. Really great cycling and you can rent trad and electric bikes on the Island. The roads DO get busy on the island and car parks are not cheap. Have a look at the IoW council website -- there are visitor car park permits. We use three-monthly Long Stay permits which work well for us otherwise you might be paying five or ten pounds a day on parking.

You'll want somewhere to stay...if you bring a car make sure you can leave it in a safe and free/inexpensive spot -- the Island can get busy. Enjoy your hols!

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car needed to travel around the Isle of White?

Don't think the island will be that busy in April when the OP is visiting.

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Wight
Recent Conversations