We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow to St. Albans transportation

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow to St. Albans transportation

I am in need of information on how to get to St. Albans from Heathrow airport. We will be arriving on a Wednesday at 6PM.

I am having difficulty finding current information. Is it still possible to take the Picadilly underground line from the airport to Kings Cross and then catch a train from there? How difficult will it be to manage large bags on the tube and train?

Since we are arriving so late in the day, I am not sure how long the trains run.

Or is it easier to find a taxi at the airport to go to ST. Albans . I am reluctant to pre-book one since our flight may be late.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. This will be the final leg of a two week trip and the only piece that I can't seem to put together. Thank you so much to all of you for always being so helpful with your information and tips.

Dee

7 replies to this topic
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow to St. Albans transportation

Yes it's possible to do that. The St Albans train leaves from St Pancras - part of the same station complex as Kings Cross.

managing large bags - no more difficult than anywhere else particularly as rush hour will be over by the time you are travelling. There should be step free access throughout your journey

The underground runs until getting on for midnight and trains to St Albans run all night, albeit infrequently (at least once an hour though)

Taxi - possible yes, but exceedingly expensive if you don't pre-book

London
Level Contributor
10,422 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow to St. Albans transportation

Your journey is entirely feasible by underground then train, but will be slow.

The underground runs from Heathrow until close to midnight - and the "Thameslink" route trains through St Albans run even later, so no worries about missing the last connection.

If you want to use this route.

At Heathrow head for the underground station. (Although you didn't say which terminal, all terminals are connected to the system). Buy a "one day all zones travelcard", which is £8.50 per adult.

Take the Piccadilly line to KingsCrossStPancras. Alight there and head for the St Pancras lower level platforms. Your travelcard will take you most (but not all) the way to St Albans. Your travelcard is valid to Elstree and Borehamwood, so buy a ticket from the desk at St Pancras for "Elstree and Borehamwood to St Albans" - if necessary show your travelcard to prove that you have a valid ticket for the first part of the journey. This ticket will be £4.70 per adult. (You don't need to get off at Elstree - it doesn't even matter if your train doesn't stop there - so long as you have the valid extension ticket in advance of getting on the train.)

I note you said "our" so there is more than just you travelling? Prices and ticket rules for children are different.

A road journey will be quicker for this trip. But rather than a taxi off the rank at Heathrow, I would be sorely tempted to arrange for a pre-booked private car to be waiting for you. Search this forum - lots of recomendations. These services will monitor flight arrivals and know if your incoming flight is late.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,026 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow to St. Albans transportation

Green Line bus 724 goes direct from Central Bus Station at Heathrow Airport to St. Albans. Buses run approximately hourly, last bus is at 22.30.

Central Bus Station is walkable from Terminal 1 and Terminal 3. From Terminals 4 or 5 make use of the free Heathrow Express / Heathrow Connect trains to get you to the Central area.

The fare is £7.50, pay the driver in cash (change can be given, but £50 notes are not accepted). There are no advance bookings on this route.

greenline.co.uk/green-line-timetables-and-ti…

Edited: 10 June 2012, 16:34
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow to St. Albans transportation

Thank you all so much. You have been a great help. You have offered some wonderful options and advice that I would never have found without your assistance.

Dee

Hopkinton...
Level Contributor
1 post
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow to St. Albans transportation

To complete the story, a taxi will be about £50 if prebooked.

If there are about 3 or more of you it will likely be about the same price as all taking the train and take about half the time to arrive (at least).

You should be able to book online before you arrive, for example http://www.addisonlee.com/ and it's cheaper than a 'black cab'.

Hope that helps?

Dan

Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow to St. Albans transportation

Hi, in 2017 the bus costs £21 for 2 adults from St. Albans City Centre bus depot/train centre. Buses run every hour or so and take 1 hour and 40 minutes on a sort of Milk Run type of route. It stops in many places and there isnt a lot of room for luggage. Fortunately there must be a quicker way to get there and not too many people on our bus were going to the airport, they were just locals,seemingly,going a bit of a distance. I was expecting an air conditioned coach as i bought tickets on the National Express site a month prior to travel so was surprised it was a regular city type bus (no underneath luggage hold) with no air con that bumped us along for an hour 40 mins. Ughh! It was hard on my mum who turns 80 soon.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
459 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow to St. Albans transportation

You know what if there is at least 2 of you get a taxi all the way. By the time that you are clear of getting your baggage then it should be a clear run. The 724 is mind numbingly slow from Rickmansworth to the other side of Watford. If you get HEx it will still take longer than a taxi and probably cost more. Tube will take for ever just to save a few pounds.

Reply to: Heathrow to St. Albans transportation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St Albans