We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do with children in Cheltenham?

Harrogate, England
9 posts
Things to do with children in Cheltenham?

Hi to all - we are a family of 4 coming to Cheltenham in early August (2-4) as a stopover from Yorkshire down to Cornwall. We are staying at the Thistle for 2 nights.

We have two children, aged 5 and 9, and I am really keen to get some ideas on places we could go during the daytime to keep both them and us occupied.

Also, we will have 2 nights in Cheltenham, so any ideas on decent restaurants that are child friendly would be great - pasta, Indian, Chinese all eaten, or a good child friendly pub...

thanks in advance

Betty_Teas

Cheltenham...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1. Re: Things to do with children in Cheltenham?

Betty

There's plenty to do in the area, using Cheltenham as your base. Bourton on the Water is a great start (15 miles away) Dragonfly Maze, Model Vilage, Birdland.

From Cheltenham race course you can take the GWR steam train to Winchcombe and explore Sudeley Castle.

Cotswold Farm Park

Cotswold Wildlife Park.

Cotswold Water Park, Boat hire, cycling, swimming, water skiing.

There is alot you can do in 2 days. A car is needed though in my opinion.

Check www.cotswold-scenes.com for good ideas.

Harrogate, England
9 posts
2. Re: Things to do with children in Cheltenham?

Jim

that's really helpful, thanks!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
116 reviews
3. Re: Things to do with children in Cheltenham?

hi Betty _teas

there is a nice soft play area in bourton on the water and also they have one in cheltenham

cannot remember the name but i got it from the cheltenham web site

can i also suggest a great pub the PLOUGH INN in the village of FORD great food kids menu and a super large beer garden with a play fort

regards straw bear

(fellow yorkshireman)

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Things to do with children in Cheltenham?

Hi Bettys, if you'd rather just stay in Cheltenham instead of venturing around the Cotswolds, the following child friendly events are taking place on that weekend -

Storytelling in Pittville Park - Carrying you away to a world of chills and thrills - Chloe The Midnight Storyteller gives a high energy freetyle performance. Bring a picnic, chair and rug.

Summer Fun at Cheltenham Art Gallery & Museum - Trails and activity sheets in the galleries. FREE for all ages.

Cheltenham Cricket Festival at Cheltenham College - Gloucestershire v Derbyshire

Bands in the Park at Montpellier Gardens - Celebration Reed & Brass Band

Do-It-Yourself Pottery - Winchombe Street

Further afield - Gatcombe Park Horse Trials at Gatcombe Park

Lots and lots of restaurants dotted all over town that would be happy to accommodate children. If you're staying at the Thistle on the Golden Valley, then you could try the Redgrove on the other side of the roundabout (underneath the Travelodge), as I think it has a large kids play area inside.

Cheers, Pink Mink

Harrogate, England
9 posts
5. Re: Things to do with children in Cheltenham?

great, those are really helpful, thanks!

6. Re: Things to do with children in Cheltenham?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 January 2009, 13:35
Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Things to do with children in Cheltenham?

Also do consider Slimbridge, and in the Pittville park, is a "pets corner", some birds and guinea pigs etc always worth a peep.

Cotswold Wildlife park (I think that's the home of the presenter of Countryfile, on sundays).

"Golden Valley" i'd guessed at.

8. Re: Things to do with children in Cheltenham?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Cheltenham