We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40th birthday trip to Cotswolds - Ideas of things to do?

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
40th birthday trip to Cotswolds - Ideas of things to do?

Hi, 15 of my friends are coming to the Cotswolds in September. We have afternoon tea booked with the hotel but are looking for something fun to do in the afternoon and a place for food/drinks in the night. Any suggestions in Cheltenham or Gloucester would be great. Thanks x

7 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 40th birthday trip to Cotswolds - Ideas of things to do?

Budget? Food preferences? What's your idea of fun? Will you gave cars? Where are you staying?

Bear in mind if you've booked a traditional afternoon tea they are often time consuming (so might limit what else you can do) and filling, after a good tea you may find you won't want anything more than a snack for dinner.

If you provide more information you'll probably get some useful suggestions, but there's no point people suggesting trips to the villages if you have no car, 10 mile walks if you don't like walking.

If you are staying in Chrltenham itself, it's a modern town, with some nice buildings, and the facilities you'd expect in a town of that size, cinema, bowling, theatre, hotel spa, pubs, restaurants (everything from chains to Michekin star). If you like Indian food Prithvi is excellent (although I haven't been there for a while) but you would need to check they can cater for a group and book as it's small, it's also refined, quiet rather than boisterous curry house style. Mir you are foodies Le Champignon Sauvage is eorth a look but again high end prices and atmosphere which may or may not be what you want.

If you are looking for a Cotswold experience my advice would be to get out of Cheltenham and head for a nice country pub, or one of the attractive villages.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 40th birthday trip to Cotswolds - Ideas of things to do?

Thanks, We have booked afternoon tea for 12.30pm so basically as soon as we arrive at the hotel. We will then check into the hotel and head out somewhere either Gloucester or Cheltenham. We would like something to do in the afternoon, perhaps a boat trip, then food/drinks in the night. We will have cars but will get a taxi's so we can all have a drink in the night. We like most food. Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 40th birthday trip to Cotswolds - Ideas of things to do?

Are you staying in Cheltenham or Gloucester? If you are in Cheltenham, lie most food and are not budget constrained then my two suggestions in my first reply would be my choice.

If you are looking for something cheaper the Montpelier Wine Bar is popular and lively

Depending where you are staying you may be able to walk to all of these

There are plenty of other places in Cheltenham , including the chains like Carluccios, Cafe Rouge. Pizza Express if that's more your thing

To be honest it's pretty much what you'd find in any town of comparable size.

If you really want to experience the Cotswolds you need to get out of Cheltenham / Gloucester

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 40th birthday trip to Cotswolds - Ideas of things to do?

We are staying in Hatton Court Hotel in the Cotswolds. Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 40th birthday trip to Cotswolds - Ideas of things to do?

Painswick Rococo Gardens are near to where you are staying and are lovely. Have you looked at the hotel's page of suggestions of things to do?

midlands UK
Level Contributor
159 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 40th birthday trip to Cotswolds - Ideas of things to do?

From the Hatton Court Hotel, you're probably closer to Gloucester. Although Gloucester itself doesn't hold many attractions in the form of good eating places, The Quays has a selection of restaurants (mainly chain), shops, bars etc. You can also do boat trips, though the canal views aren't terribly impressive!

Bristol
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 40th birthday trip to Cotswolds - Ideas of things to do?

There are some great places to go in Cheltenham with loads of independent restaurants who would probably cater for your group of 15. I would suggest Crazy Eights/No 131 which is part of the Lucky Onion Group. It might be slightly pricey but its got a great atmosphere with a DJ playing in the main bar. The crowd is slightly older so the DJ plays chill out music then gets funky later on.

The shopping is great in Cheltenham and it has a good cafe culture. As for something to do during the day there's food tours or brewery tours - which also take in Gloucester. Google them. There's also shooting which is a bit of a drive out but could be fun if you were that way inclined. Have fun, Cheltenham and the Cotswolds are stunning. x

Reply to: 40th birthday trip to Cotswolds - Ideas of things to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cheltenham
Recent Conversations