We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking the train from Gatwick airport to Cheltenham Spa

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
156 posts
83 reviews
Taking the train from Gatwick airport to Cheltenham Spa

I'm thinking of taking the train from Gatwick airport to Cheltenham Spa. I'm wondering how much time should I allow to make it to the train platforms? There's a limited number of train connections, if you don't want to travel via London. I'm trying to avoid changing a lot between trains and underground, because I will be travelling with a big suitcase.

My flight will be arriving to the south terminal at Gatwick, I will have to wait for my checked-in baggage. I'm an EU citizen and I'm flying in from a Schengen country.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
94 reviews
1. Re: Taking the train from Gatwick airport to Cheltenham Spa

If it was me, I'd allow an hour. The UK is not in Schengen, so you'll still need to clear UK border control.

The obvious train route to avoid London is Gatwick to Reading, then Reading onto Cheltenham Spa either direct or changing at one of the Bristol stations as required.

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: Taking the train from Gatwick airport to Cheltenham Spa

Agree with an hour but then add perhaps 20 minutes to get down to the platform etc. The queues at Gatwick immigration have become rather long, so many people travelling these days.

Seems like the GWR train to Reading operates every two hours.

London
Level Contributor
12,227 posts
68 reviews
3. Re: Taking the train from Gatwick airport to Cheltenham Spa

The Gatwick to Reading train is much more frequent than that.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
73,864 posts
476 reviews
4. Re: Taking the train from Gatwick airport to Cheltenham Spa

Yes, it's at least hourly between Gatwick and Reading.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,339 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Taking the train from Gatwick airport to Cheltenham Spa

I think Wayout has used National Rail planner Gatwick to Cheltenham. Because it can be quicker to travel via London Paddington it does imply a 2 hourly service from Gatwick to Reading. Nestorex will need to look at times from Gatwick to Reading, generally hh:03 arrive hh+1:19, and then Reading to Cheltenham, a few direct trains, otherwise Bristol or Gloucester change. A matter of style, as there are inconvenient connections I would make the journey with a long break at Reading giving time for a meal break.

Nestorex you say "I'm thinking of taking the train ...". Do you mean you are definitely going to Cheltenham, or that Cheltenham is a possible destination. Where is it you actually want to go, how does it fit into your overall schedule?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
73,864 posts
476 reviews
6. Re: Taking the train from Gatwick airport to Cheltenham Spa

I think you're right, Penmere. I know on one journey I looked at from South Wales, the journey planner kept sending me via London because it was quicker by three minutes!

For those with luggage, I'd say a change at the new Reading station, which has plenty of lifts and escalators, is much easier than traipsing across London. In fact, I'd rather go via Reading even without bags.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
91 reviews
7. Re: Taking the train from Gatwick airport to Cheltenham Spa

Agreed. I did a change both ways at Reading last summer with all of my kit from the Glastonbury Festival, and it was very smooth despite my packhorse-like state - lifts and escalators are plentiful, and even if you have an extended wait for your connection there are plenty of places to eat / get a coffee / sit and wait, and plenty of clean (free) loos.

8. Re: Taking the train from Gatwick airport to Cheltenham Spa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2018, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Cheltenham