We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tewkesbury to Cheltenham Festival - Car or Bus?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
28 posts
56 reviews
Tewkesbury to Cheltenham Festival - Car or Bus?

My husband and I are staying in Tewkesbury next week to attend the Festival on Thursday and Friday. We have a car but I'm undecided on the best way to get there after reading other forums. Some say a car but it can take 2 hours to leave and others say the buses have long queues.

I've been searching for an organised bus but can't seem to find anything other than public transport. I can't walk a huge distance (a mile max) so welcome advice on the best way to get there. Many thanks.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
28 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: Tewkesbury to Cheltenham Festival - Car or Bus?

Or would a taxi work better? Thanks.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,985 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Tewkesbury to Cheltenham Festival - Car or Bus?

A taxi home would be no good, they would never find you in the crush.

You may have to bite the bullet and drive in, last time we parked on the course it took us two hours to get off but I have heard it has improved. We get our son to drop us off at Morrisons and get the bus in, but you cant leave your car at Morrisons all day.

UK
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
70 reviews
3. Re: Tewkesbury to Cheltenham Festival - Car or Bus?

I'd drive for sure. Traffic control / flow on the racecourse and surrounding roads has been much improved, last year we were of the course and on our way within 20 minutes every day, even Friday.

I'd say driving is the least hassle overall.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Tewkesbury to Cheltenham Festival - Car or Bus?

…thejockeyclub.co.uk/plan-your-race-day/visi… Infornation page with links to map - if you haven't arranged parking need Green route - which is via Tredington and Bishop Cleeve from Tewkesbury.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
28 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Tewkesbury to Cheltenham Festival - Car or Bus?

Many thanks for the replies. We will take the car on both days as it looks the best option.

UK
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
70 reviews
6. Re: Tewkesbury to Cheltenham Festival - Car or Bus?

I hope you had a good day and got off the course ok. We drove straight off all 3 nights so far, literally got in the car and a minute later were through the gate and on the A46. They really seem to have cracked the problems of old!

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Tewkesbury to Cheltenham Festival - Car or Bus?

Yes great improvement. I needed to drive across Cheltenham on Wednesday evening after the racing finished. Usually takes 15 minutes, less than 10 this week, town centre empty of traffic. Friend from Winchcombe direction did experience delays getting into Cheltenham passing through the departing traffic. But not going anywhere today, Gold Cup & St Patricks, a Cue for Tea for Two?

UK
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
70 reviews
8. Re: Tewkesbury to Cheltenham Festival - Car or Bus?

Incredibly quick again today, we were back at the pub in Winchcombe by just after 6 having watched the last race. They have done a great job resolving the traffic problems.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Tewkesbury to Cheltenham Festival - Car or Bus?

I did wave across the field. Sorry the tips u/s. How did you get on with Tewkesbury parking?

10. Re: Tewkesbury to Cheltenham Festival - Car or Bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2018, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Cheltenham