We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains during Cheltenham Festival

Belfast, United...
11 posts
Trains during Cheltenham Festival

Hello

Just looking a bit of advice around Festival time. 4 of us are staying in Birmingham and travelling to Cheltenham on the Thursday and Friday for the racing. We are going via New Street station.I have booked 4 "off peak return" tickets. The first off peak train leaves at 9.30 so we wouldnt have been planning to go any earlier and the off peak tickets were cheaper. The return from Cheltenham wont be an issue as we plan on hanging around after racing for an hour or 2 for a beverage

Basically i just want to know. How long before the 9.30 train leaves should we be in New Street?? Do you think we will get a seat? or will we be standing in all probability??? Havent travelled by Train in England before and the whole thing is new to me.. I just know it will probably be packed at Festival time.. All help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
6 reviews
11. Re: Trains during Cheltenham Festival

In your earlier thread it was pointed out that Advance Tickets are not available; this is because you need a ticket which allows travel on several trains due to the unpredictable queues . The trains are approximately every 20 minutes, so if you can't get on the 9:30 it will be the 9:42, and so on. Did you buy a bus ticket as well? another queue, it is about 40 minutes to walk to the racecourse from station. There is entertainment at the course after the races, or walk back into town for your evening beverage.

UK
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
70 reviews
12. Re: Trains during Cheltenham Festival

Just get to New Street well in advance of the train you are hoping to catch and join the queue. It will be very busy as explained above, but they'll pack the trains pretty tight so you shouldn't have to wait too long. The first Off Peak is likely to be very busy with people wanting to get to Cheltenham as early as possible on an Off Peak train. Be prepared to queue again for a bus to the racecourse, but the service is pretty efficient so it won't be too bad, and most folk will be in good form so it's not too bad.

Belfast, United...
11 posts
13. Re: Trains during Cheltenham Festival

Cheers.plan on getting there well in advance so should be alright

14. Re: Trains during Cheltenham Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2018, 23:18
Get answers to your questions about Cheltenham