We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains during Cheltenham Festival

Belfast, United...
11 posts
Save Topic
Trains during Cheltenham Festival

Hello

Just looking a bit of advice around Festival time. 4 of us are staying in Birmingham and travelling to Cheltenham on the Thursday and Friday for the racing. We are going via New Street station.I have booked 4 "off peak return" tickets. The first off peak train leaves at 9.30 so we wouldnt have been planning to go any earlier and the off peak tickets were cheaper. The return from Cheltenham wont be an issue as we plan on hanging around after racing for an hour or 2 for a beverage

Basically i just want to know. How long before the 9.30 train leaves should we be in New Street?? Do you think we will get a seat? or will we be standing in all probability??? Havent travelled by Train in England before and the whole thing is new to me.. I just know it will probably be packed at Festival time.. All help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

13 replies to this topic
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
61,129 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains during Cheltenham Festival

I haven't been on trains during Festival time, bu I've travelled on very busy trains from Birmingham to Cheltenham when there hasn't been any racing on. I've also been in Cheltenham a few days before the Festival and seen the barriers stacked up ready to implement some kind of queuing system for the duration, I assumed.

All of which leads me to believe that the trains will be rammed during the Festival.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,924 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains during Cheltenham Festival

I have done this trip during festivals.

A (great big) queue is formed up in the station concourse supervised by staff. You are allowed in batches to each train when it arrives. First come, first served. It is very likely that you will have to stand all the way - we did. But you get there.

Enjoy the racing.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
61,129 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains during Cheltenham Festival

Is that at Birmingham New St, david, or only at Cheltenham?

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,924 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains during Cheltenham Festival

Sorry that I wasn't clear. This is at New Street.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
61,129 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains during Cheltenham Festival

That is very helpful to know. Thanks!

Belfast, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains during Cheltenham Festival

That is great.Thanks for your replies. Dont mind standing anyway, i will just have to make sure i am at New Street in plenty of time

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
17,201 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains during Cheltenham Festival

I've travelled on that route from Liverpool to Bristol when the festival has been on. I think I must have got on the Cross Country train at Stafford because I got a seat, but when it pulled into B'ham New Street it filled up quickly and there were people standing in the ends of the carriages of RojBlake's favourite type of train! ;-)

Belfast, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trains during Cheltenham Festival

Would there be any chance you would not get on because it was too full or is this unusual???

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trains during Cheltenham Festival

As above, there is a queuing system so, once you are allowed onto the platform you will be able to get on the next train.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,370 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trains during Cheltenham Festival

This is last years queue: expressandstar.com/picture-galleries/…

Reply to: Trains during Cheltenham Festival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted