We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which villages to include in daytrip?

Beveren, Belgium
Level Contributor
76 posts
14 reviews
Which villages to include in daytrip?

Hello, we will be staying near Todber next month and I am planning our holiday. On one day we would like to do a tour around a few villages/little towns near our holiday home. After a bit of research I came up with these villages/towns: Sturminster Newton, Milton Abbas, Blandford Forum and Sherborne. I know 4 in one day would be too much... but which should we definitely do and why? And which should we skip?

Thanks for your help!

Kathleen

Dorset
Level Contributor
258 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Which villages to include in daytrip?

I would recommend Sherborne - 2 castles, abbey and lovely architecture.

Milton Abbas is really about the main street - chocolate box pretty.

I would also include Shaftesbury - Gold Hill, Abbey ruins and lots of history.

Dorset has an abundance of small towns and villages which all have a lot going for them.

Beveren, Belgium
Level Contributor
76 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Which villages to include in daytrip?

Thank you! We will certainly visit Shaftesbury but on another day 😉

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
900 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: Which villages to include in daytrip?

Cerne Abbas and the Giant would make it to my list. Personally quite a fan of Dorchester too, and like Burton Bradstock. Hive Cafe on beach is great as well (in Burton Bradstock).

england
Level Contributor
6,724 posts
130 reviews
4. Re: Which villages to include in daytrip?

google the giant and dont bother. Sherborne should be top of the list, a great little village. Dorchester used to have, probably still does, lots of interesting bookshops. Hive cafe is very popular. This pub has a nice garden but the management seems to change a lot and I havent visited under the current lot https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Rev…

South West England...
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
140 reviews
5. Re: Which villages to include in daytrip?

If the criteria is "little towns" Dorchester doesn;t realy make the cut interesting though it may be. It is the county town of dorset pop. 20,000.

Certainly Sherborne should be on the list as there is so much there. Still quite a large town though. Shaftsury and Gold Hill would be my other choice.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Which villages to include in daytrip?

What is it that you want from these "villages/little towns"?

Do you just want to admire the scenery and buildings, or to shop, or to dine or have tea, or what?

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,053 posts
72 reviews
7. Re: Which villages to include in daytrip?

Sherborne is not to be missed - but Blindfold could be missed.

Beveren, Belgium
Level Contributor
76 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Which villages to include in daytrip?

No shopping but more like enjoying the scenery, the beauty of the surroundings, a nice pub or tearoom and we wouldn't mind a walk here or there.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Which villages to include in daytrip?

For scenery, I suggest you drive south through Marnhull and Sturminster Newton, then to Okeford Fitzpaine, and then to the top of Bulbarrow Hill for the view back over the Blackmore Vale. Milton Abbas is a little further on. Cerne Abbas is also worth a visit, as is Sherborne. There are good pubs in Marnhull, Milton Abbas and Cerne Abbas, which also has cream teas.

I would not bother with Blandford Forum, but Gillingham is good for supermarket shopping.

For a walk near to Todber, try Duncliffe Woods.

Beveren, Belgium
Level Contributor
76 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Which villages to include in daytrip?

Thank you so much! Will look into this 👌

Get answers to your questions about Dorset
Recent Conversations