We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have I left it too late ? 5 nights in Dorset

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
457 reviews
Have I left it too late ? 5 nights in Dorset

I have trawled various websites looking for double/twin room accommodation for 5 nights commencing 7th July with limited success. Looking at Lyme Regis,Charmouth,West Bay,West Bexington,Burton Bradstock and Bridport. Every where seems to be booked up ,or very expensive. Some B&Bs don't have active booking on their websites and to phone every one is going to be disheartening. I've tried the Dorset Tourist board their website gives lots of availability in Dorchester and Bournemouth and Weymouth - we prefer to be further west.

Can anyone offer advice other than book for next year ? thanks for any help

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
187 reviews
1. Re: Have I left it too late ? 5 nights in Dorset

http://kersbrook.co.uk/

My friends stayed here last summer for a short break and it looks as if they still have rooms. They said the breakfast was very good and location was perfect for them.

South West England...
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
140 reviews
2. Re: Have I left it too late ? 5 nights in Dorset

Freshwater beach holiday park or Kersbrook as above. Both on bookings.com

3. Re: Have I left it too late ? 5 nights in Dorset

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 June 2017, 11:05
Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
9,653 posts
87 reviews
4. Re: Have I left it too late ? 5 nights in Dorset

July will be expensive, more so if you've left it late.

Accomodation was hard to come by or ridiculously expensive even in June about 5 years ago, when we had to attend a funeral near Lyme. We were lucky that a family friend of the deceased owned a B &B which they no longer advertised as they had effectively retired, but they kindly offered to put up a few of our group.

I can only wish you luck...

Level Contributor
341 posts
1 review
5. Re: Have I left it too late ? 5 nights in Dorset

Hello Room_with_a_view, check this site

jurassiccoast.org/discover/where-to-stay/

Should still be availability in places. What I would say though is that 5 nights from a Friday is an unusual request, especially in peak season, which is why not much will be showing up in your searches. So when searching, I would suggest you search for 7 nights, as that WILL reveal far more options. Up to you then to contact the place(s) concerned and see if they give you a discount for 5 nights, or whether maybe you can stretch it to 7?

Reason this is relevant is that many accommodation providers will be looking at 100% occupancy in July and August, so losing 2 nights (which is what they will most likely face) is undesirable. It's called 'Making Hay When the Sun Shines'....

God luck.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
457 reviews
6. Re: Have I left it too late ? 5 nights in Dorset

Thanks every one We are travelling from the far north of England and driving down so far south, we need a nights stop over - maybe around Stratford upon Avon.

We cannot leave until 5th July and with a stop over along with a day to look around Stratford - that takes us to the 7th July. I'll take your suggestion and look at a week -or maybe juggle our dates.

Thanks

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
8,056 posts
63 reviews
7. Re: Have I left it too late ? 5 nights in Dorset

I needed to stay over in Dorset recently. Trying to find anywhere that would take a one night booking over the May bank holiday weekend was near enough impossible. But I managed to get a room here: www.thespringfield.co.uk which was about a 10 minute drive from Corfe Castle, and not too far from Monkey World, Bovington etc.

I was pleasantly surprised; quite peaceful; nice room; decent evening meal. So they may have something.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Have I left it too late ? 5 nights in Dorset

The Kersbrook in Lyme is in a great location and it's still (15/6) showing spaces for 5 days ... there is also availability showing on various holiday websites but I wouldn't hang around. The fact you're arriving on a weekend means what's left is liable to disappear fast.

Edited: 15 June 2017, 11:15
Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
900 posts
35 reviews
9. Re: Have I left it too late ? 5 nights in Dorset

Hello Vegas, just out of interest: what would you deem 'ridiculously expensive', and what were you trying to book?

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
900 posts
35 reviews
10. Re: Have I left it too late ? 5 nights in Dorset

Hello Giliganuk, well done for achieving a 1-night stay over a bank holiday weekend.

Not that odd really that not many places will offer this when usually demand for full weekends exceeds supply in these peak weekends. It's a bit like trying to book the Ivy on a Saturday night aiming to just have a coffee... :-)

Get answers to your questions about Dorset
Recent Conversations