We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long is the walk from car pk to Devil's cauldron?

Dublin
Level Contributor
513 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How long is the walk from car pk to Devil's cauldron?

I have looked at the National trust website and it doesnt give much indication of how long we would need to walk- would like to see White lady waterfall and devil's cauldron. About how long a walk is it from the nearest car park? I'm not being lazy, there is only so far a three year old can walk without many, many bribes of ice cream.! Could skip waterfall if it's shorter to just do the cauldron.

Has anyone any advice?

thanks

Dublin
Level Contributor
513 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long is the walk from car pk to Devil's cauldron?

It won't allow me to edit, but I see that the Cauldron and waterfall are at "opposite" ends of the gorge accroding to another website, so I suppose it will have to be one or the other, unless you can walk and view, drive to the next part, walk and view.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long is the walk from car pk to Devil's cauldron?

I would advise against this walk with a three year old, in all honesty. You can enter the sight at either end - near to the the White lady or the Devil's Cauldron - but the walk down to them is fairly steep and the walk along between the two (which took two adults about 20-30 mins each way I'd say from memory) can be quite precarious in places.

It is a stunning place to see, but with such a small person perhaps not the best one.

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
875 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long is the walk from car pk to Devil's cauldron?

I would agree. Even more than that: quite dangerous with small children. Ours are 7 and 9 and even they only just about managed it (me having very sweaty palms as a result).

It is stunning though.

If you wish to see waterfalls with a small person, go to either Penny Falls or Canonteign.

england
Level Contributor
305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long is the walk from car pk to Devil's cauldron?

Hi,

We did the walk between the 2 ends with our 3 and 5 year old, but only the adults (one at a time, so the other could mind the kids) went down the slippery, steep steps to the cauldron. It helped that we had a 'spare' adult, so one to mind each child.

It is a stunning walk - what we also did was I stopped at the shop and bought an ice cream for the kids at one end, while hubby and my friend finished the walk, and brought the car back - ours easily managed (with stops) to do half of the loop.

england
Level Contributor
305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long is the walk from car pk to Devil's cauldron?

I would add that it is quite precarious in places, but we took it slowly - depends on how much walking your kids are used to.

6. Re: How long is the walk from car pk to Devil's cauldron?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 18:15