We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tarka Trail - Okehampton to Belstone. Winter conditions.

k r
Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
180 posts
667 reviews
Save Topic
Tarka Trail - Okehampton to Belstone. Winter conditions.

We have a short break booked in Okehampton next week (Feb 2018) and hope to do some walking. Last year we walked a little of the Tarka Trail through SImmons Park and along the East Okement, it was pretty muddy in places. This time we hope to get to Belstone along the East Okement and via Watchet Hill, then if possible go further beside the Taw towards Sticklepath. Obviously it depends on the weather but I wondered if the path is known to be good, or bad in winter, we did not want to get stuck half way!

Mentioned in this post
Tarka Trail (Braunton to Meeth)
Tarka Trail (Braunton to...
190 Reviews
Devon, UK
2 replies to this topic
k r
Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
180 posts
667 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tarka Trail - Okehampton to Belstone. Winter conditions.

Well, having returned from our enjoyable short break in Okehampton, I can answer my own query! It was fantastic.

k r
Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
180 posts
667 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tarka Trail - Okehampton to Belstone. Winter conditions.

Although there had been rain in preceding weeks during the week of our stay in Okehampton it was dry.

On Monday we walked from Okehampton station down through Tramlines Wood, then under Fatherford Viaduct, and up along the East Okement. It was muddy in places and we had to climb over flat rocks, a bit like Lydford Gorge in places. We then climbed steeply up onto the corner of Belston Moor and into Belstone, about 4 miles in total.

On Thursday we drove to Sticklepath and walked up along the River Taw to Belstone. Again it was muddy in places and we had to scramble over boulders and across small streams and springs. Again it was a bit like Lydford Gorge. There was a steep climb up to Belstone, just over 2 miles in total. Both walks ended at the lovely Tors Inn at Belstone.

In addition on Wednesday we walked from Meldon reservoir down through the Meldon Valley along the West Okement, another lovely walk with industrial archaeology to see along the way.

We are a fit couple (I am in my late 50s) and thouroughly enjoyed our stay in Okehampton.

Mentioned in this post
Lydford Gorge
Lydford Gorge
821 Reviews
Lydford, UK
Reply to: Tarka Trail - Okehampton to Belstone. Winter conditions.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted