We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Ives by train

Merseyside
Level Contributor
53 posts
St Ives by train

Hi we have booked to stay in the first week of October, and instead of a long stressful drive from Merseyside we have now come out with the brilliant idea of traveling down by train to Plymouth. Stay the night in Plymouth and then getting the train the next morning into St Ives thus being nicely relaxed and fresh, seems like a good idea has anyone had previous experience traveling this way. I know we wont have our car but the places I wanted to visit when we are there are all available by local train. plus i don't want any day after problems driving after drinking the famous local cider brew. An y better ideas please let me know, and please dont mention flying there because i bleedin hate it.

Many thanks

Devon
Level Contributor
65 posts
1. Re: St Ives by train

Great idea to travel by train Wayne, but what exactly is your question?

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: St Ives by train

We were based in Falmouth (and traveled down from Bath by train), but got around Cornwall by train and bus. You can't get EVERYWHERE, but we got pretty much anywhere we really wanted to go.

So yes you can do this trip by train. As FanofDevon said, what are your specific questions?

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,639 posts
84 reviews
3. Re: St Ives by train

Why are you staying the night in Plymouth? It seems odd to come so close to your destination and stay for a night when another couple of hours will get you there.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
53 posts
4. Re: St Ives by train

Hi thanks for the replys, my question iwas would anyone stay in Pymouth or another place on the train route. Reason we wanted to not go direct is it is still another 2 hours journey by train to St Ives, I have only just started researching this idea. I think now after a little bit more research that we will go direct to St Ives by getting a earlier train from Chester. One of the problems being if you dont time it right and book ahead you can end up paying over double the price for the train journey, so the 6 am train would get us down by around 2 in the afternoon and cost a lot less. Many Thanks

5. Re: St Ives by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 01:19
Get answers to your questions about St Ives
Recent Conversations