We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation

Manukau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
accommodation

We tried to arrange accommodation with the Olive Branch for a 3 night stay in St Ives.

As we were ringing from New Zealand I can appreciate the time differences. However, I did ring at about 8.30p.m. NZ TIME which was about 8-8.15 am.

When I rang I was told they serving breakfast, no there was no one else to help me and to ring back after a couple of hours which would have made it 11p.m.NZ . I thought that this was not really appropriate and was disappointed.

Received reply, explaining that she was cooking breakfast.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,615 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accommodation

Sorry Westie I don'tsee what you are trying to get at. In B&Bs it is often the case that the only staff around are busy at breakfast time serving breakfast. They won't have time to take a phone call, they need to be serving the guests they already have.

I don't see anything wrong with them asking you to phone back on a couple of hours, what would you have preferred. This establishment obviously isn't a large hotel with reception staff waiting to take reservations, they are a small B&B.

Do you have a question to ask, or were you just making a point?

Manukau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accommodation

Annabel, Yes I was making a point.

I do realise that B and B's are small and do not afford reception staff to make bookings.

We were asked to ring and I should have thought about the time, however, it involved our time difference too, plus tollcall.

We have appreciated all the advice given with regards to our trip.

Trip Advisor is a great site.

Thanks

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accommodation

Hi Westie

The website for The Olive Branch has a booking enquiry form and an email address. Why don't you try enquiring via one of these routes? That way, there won't be any expensive phone calls and no time difference issues:-

www.theolivebranchstives.co.uk/enquiries.htm

info@theolivebranchstives.co.uk

Hope this helps.

Suzi

Manukau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accommodation

Hi Suzi,

I did enquire via there website and was asked to ring to confirm booking and tariffs.

So thanks. Anyway we have another B and B and are so looking forward to coming to Cornwall and Devon.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Devon
Devon
England, UK
Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: accommodation

Glad you have found somewhere. As a suggestion tho, maybe draw attention to the fact that there is a time difference when you are booking so explain a phone call won't work and ask that they supply info by email. It's equally possible to communicate in writing.

Suzi

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,615 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: accommodation

Or you could phone at 8am your time which would make it early evening here.

Manukau, New Zealand
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: accommodation

Hi, We have returned from our trip to Cornwall and Devon. Thanks Trip Advisor for all your help. We hired a car from Heathrow, and managed to get out of London very well. The accommodation we booked was Bed and Breakfast and we stayed in Padstow, St Ives, Falmouth and Polperro.

The driving was brilliant, however, despite the Navman we managed to travel up lanes that I am sure we shouldn't have. Got lost but locals great. Apart from the weather!!! we had an amazing holiday. Scenery gorgeous, history abound. Food great. English breakfasts certainly set you up for the day. Hosts were lovely and helpful especially Evelyn Bromley from Rathlena in St Ives.

So many pictures and memories and we certainly are fit from climbing up hills and stairs.

We then travelled onto Shanghai which another story unfolded. Bed and Breakfast Yun Living was in a good spot in the French Concession.

Recommend the Shanghai Big Bus Tour company for seeing places of interest and this included a night River Cruise on the Huang River for 300 CNY each.

Our host JoAnn was amazing. We had problems with our Visa and had our phone stolen so visited the Police Station twice. All sorted thankfully.

Moral of the story, is to double check the dates on the visa before you leave home!!!

Would stay in Bed and Breakfasts anytime. It gives you the freedom to choose your itinerary.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Devon
Devon
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Padstow
Padstow
Cornwall, UK
St Ives
St Ives
Cornwall, UK
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cornwall, UK
Polperro
Polperro
Cornwall, UK
Bromley
Bromley
Greater London, UK
8. Re: accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 02:17