We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there an easy way to get to the Old School Hotel?

Hendersonville...
13 posts
Save Topic
Is there an easy way to get to the Old School Hotel?

I have a room booked in May, and I have been watching youtube videos on driving in Port Isaac, and frankly, it's a little unnerving with the very narrow and steep roads. I was looking at Google Maps, and am thinking Fore Street is something to be avoided if possible! Anyone have experience? I would just like to get there, park, and not move it until we leave!

Mentioned in this post
Port Isaac
Port Isaac
Cornwall, UK
Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there an easy way to get to the Old School Hotel?

Although lots of forum members know the area well, the best and surest way of finding out is to ask the owner.

Gravesend, United...
Level Contributor
956 posts
691 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there an easy way to get to the Old School Hotel?

Fore Street is fairly narrow (but then again so are many streets in Cornish fishing villages) but not unmanageable. Although I've only walked past this hotel, it does have it's own car park and I imagine that once there you can leave the car there until you check out.

england
Level Contributor
6,335 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there an easy way to get to the Old School Hotel?

there are a couple of large car parks further out of the village if you didnt want to drive the narrow lanes but they arent free. In May you'll be dodging people in that lane so you'll be driving at walking pace anyway. They manage to get filming vehicles down there but I'm glad I wasnt trying to get down that lane when they were trying to get out, it blocked up then. Comprehensive insurance recommended, hire car companies here will charge for scrapes.

The entrance to the car park isnt too bad but getting out again would be a bit trickier.

South Hamilton...
Level Contributor
383 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there an easy way to get to the Old School Hotel?

I also am staying at this hotel (late April) and also have "driven" down tha street on Google maps. It is narrow but it doesn't strike me as perilously so; and there seem to be plenty of spots to pull aside as needed.

A question I have for those in the know: Google shows arrows that I think indicate Fore Street (outbound) and Back Hill (inbound) are one-way, with Fore Street two-way starting right around the Old School. Is that correct? If so that makes this much less trobulesome.

Katie: As you are obviously planning to drive around Cornwall you will likely come across even smaller roads (take a Google "drive" up Church Hill in Port Isaac for a good example ...) A lot of the smaller towns have parking areas from which you can walk into the center so it's worth looking those up before you go.

Finally, I was talking about my upcoming trip with an old friend who knows Cornwall pretty well and he echoes the advice on insurance: Buy it. I've driven in Ireland and Scotland (best driving ever) without a problem but he tells me that, while those roads are as narrow and winding as Cornwall's, Cornwall is much more crowded with cars and lined with hedgerows and other things that can scratch and ding a car.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Port Isaac
Port Isaac
Cornwall, UK
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Hendersonville...
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there an easy way to get to the Old School Hotel?

Thank you for your replies! Yes, one of the videos I saw was a couple trying to pass a van, and the bystanders had to help them navigate out of a tight spot if they wanted to walk any further up the street! I will give the hotel a call when it's closer to the time. I would hate to have to pay more for parking a distance away on top of the hotel price. I will if it makes things easier though.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,939 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there an easy way to get to the Old School Hotel?

Bear in mind that Cornwall (and Devon, for that matter) has plenty of narrow TWO-WAY lanes where passing something coming the other way can be an interesting experience, especially if that something is large or towing or has an inexperienced driver. I have got into the habit of always keeping a mental note of how far back the last decent (but unofficial) passing place was, when I drive such roads, sometimes a fair length reversal is the only option.

Mentioned in this post
Cornwall
Cornwall
England, UK
Devon
Devon
England, UK
7. Re: Is there an easy way to get to the Old School Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2018, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Port Isaac